Sunlight is the Best Disinfectant

The majority of people don’t easily fall into these categories, especially if you use self-reporting. There are a lot of people who agree with progressive policies but don’t self-identify as left or progressive. Those are the people who need to see these stories and understand just how dangerous these politicians are, as well as their colleagues who may not say the same things but are perfectly OK with the message of hate and intolerance.

And that’s true even on BoingBoing, where there are easily 100 lurkers for every commenter.

15 Likes

You could mute threads you find upsetting.

14 Likes

rupauls drag race bingo GIF

13 Likes

Why is this even posted? Why are “we” remarking on “it” (whatever the fuck IT is) any longer? It’s akin to: “Village idiot spews idiocy!!” It is, no longer noteworthy. She’s remarking on… something? Whatever she’s remarking upon and whatever her remarks actually ARE(?), remain obscured and inaccessible to all but the most diligently delusional.

There is, literally, nothing, to see here. Shout the news once she’s indicted or committed to bedlam.

Because when she has spewed transphobic hate, it has resulted in an increase in transphobic violence. We need to know what she is saying to keep ourselves safe.

Read this for the reasons why, especially Rule 1: Believe the autocrat.

13 Likes

Talking Blah Blah Blah GIF by Wiz Khalifa

mood GIF

I really don’t understand why this is so difficult for some to wrap their minds around…

10 Likes

If it doesn’t effect me - it’s not a real concern.

12 Likes

Far too many people embrace that notion, and it’s going to end up fucking everyone in the long run. Anyone who thinks that this sort of violent discrimination begins with the first group targeted clearly has no grasp of how this shit actually goes down…

10 Likes

Do we need to post Martin Niemöller’s poem yet again?

9 Likes

Another of her goals has got to be owning the libs. The fact that we talk about her so much must thrill her no end. It seems like there’s never not been an active thread about her here for years.

BB and the rest of the lefty sites on the net most definitely feeds that monster.

So, you aren’t affected by what she says. That’s nice.

13 Likes

What makes you conclude that?

You really think we’re her audience, not right-wing sites that delight in the hate she’s promoting? I don’t think Greene cares about what we think at all, we’re not the ones who are going to send her votes or money.

10 Likes

tenor

She’s in a position of power and gets a lot of publicity from right-leaning sites. Exposing her idiotic hate-mongering to sunlight is not an endorsement, and pointing it out is in no way being “owned” by her.

10 Likes

It seems like there’s a new outrage coming out of her daily, and there’s no indication that our “exposure” is having any effect at all.

It re-emphasises to everyone (not just the liberals and progressives in the BBS section) that the Republican party is now fully in the hands of the death cultists. It’s not so much about her but about a duopoly party that tolerates her (and the rest of these garbage piles).

6 Likes

No one talks about Greene because they think she is going to change. The authors at boingboing do it because she is an elected official and we, the public, do need to be aware of the hateful shit she is up to. We can’t afford to ignore her, much as I would like to do it. We, those who are not bigoted death cultists throughout the country, tried ignoring these people. And now where are we? We didn’t push back on the hate rhetoric, we didn’t publicly shame it, and it metastisized. We need to call them out on their hate, bigotry, misogyny, and racism every time. It’s exhausting but it is the right thing to do.
even if that wasn’t the case, I think it’s worth pointing out her hateful behavior if the only result is that our LGBTQ mutants feel reassured they have allies.

You are free to ignore these posts. We have mute capabilities. If it bothers you to give her attention, then don’t. Obviously, a whole lot of us disagree. We have an entire bloody thread about the reasons why we have to pay attention to these people.

15 Likes

Is anyone still listening to the alarm bells?

We can’t be sure.

Do we still have to keep ringing them?

I’m afraid so…

4 Likes

There is also the safety part of it as well. Not knowing what fascists are saying about what they want to do to people like me does not make me safer. There is a reason I linked to the wiki article on stochastic terrorism.

I am reminded of this Blackadder clip, except Empty actually believes what she is saying.

The right wing can tan their balls, stick plastic straws and light bulbs in raw meat or drink parasite infested water, it’s their body and their choice, as long as it doesn’t affect anyone else. What isn’t OK is the hate towards us for making choices that they don’t approve of, or forcing us to live as they choose to, or making violent comments in the hope that some “lone wolf” terrorist will attack or kill us.

There do seem to be a lot of lone wolves now. It’s almost like there is a large pack of them.

13 Likes