☭ Sup Marxists? ☭

What do the Australian’s columnist Nick Cater, video game hate group #Gamergate, Norwegian mass shooter Anders Breivik and random blokes on YouTube have in common? Apart from anything else, they have all invoked the spectre of “cultural Marxism” to account for things they disapprove of – things like Islamic immigrant communities, feminism and, er, opposition leader Bill Shorten.

A good article uniting many topical themes from Comment is Free at The Guardian.

Oy, the persecutory beliefs. I think I’d laugh if I didn’t truly feel bad for people so bad at the scientific method.

3 Likes

If I can’t dance, it’s not my revolution!

BTW, I know that’s a mangled/mis-attrributed Emma Goldman quote.

2 Likes

I couldn’t believed “Social Justice Warriors” wasn’t mentioned here at all.

1 Like

3 Likes

This is a much longer thread than usual here. Insofar as we did discuss SJWs, it was much earlier. If you jumped here from that other thread, I meant to link to comment #161, where there are a few posts discussing SJWs as such.

1 Like

Because this is where we discuss what it means when progressives are called “Cultural Marxists.”

If you want to discuss what it means when progressives are called “Social Justice Warriors,” we have an app for that.

3 Likes

I checked it recently, about to reply with a definition from the urban dictionary.

1 Like

Urban Dictionary definitions are amusing, and a interesting starting point for research.

However

SCUM: Hammer debaters, not retailers.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth…

3 Likes

In fairness, he is really easy to hate.

1 Like

I like to think I said those words.

1 Like

But I’m the world’s leading communist intellectual!

2 Likes

Leaders are for people who don’t know what they’re doing!

2 Likes

I am the world’s leading communist intellectual, and so is my wife.

3 Likes

FWIW, my take on the Zizek/Chomsky debacle is two erudite people arguing about the ways in which they feel it most appropriate to put into language, very similar concepts.

Zizek has a better sense of humour, though, so he wins.

2 Likes

The Guardian framed it as a classic confrontation between the continental and analytic traditions, which rather makes sense. I’m still holding on the hope – a hope usually associated with college sophomores – that the two traditions can be reconciled and integrated, that in fact such an integration was implicit in Marx’s work.

My sense is that the important question in contention with the two, referenced in that cartoon I linked, is whether the basic working of the system is obvious to most people or not. I’ve heard Chomsky say, in interviews, that it’s only middle class intellectuals who are trained to accept the prevailing ideology and who are astonished at his arguments and rush to defend the established ideology of US imperialism when he questions it; but working class people understand him immediately.

I think Chomsky’s got a valid insight; my sense is that middle class people are, in fact, disciplined in much the way he describes. However, it still takes a lot of effort to figure out what’s really going on. Like Marx said, “If there were no difference between essence and appearance, there would be no need for science.”

5 Likes

I used to walk past Chomsky’s door at MIT when there on business, and sometimes see him in there. I was always tempted to drop in and say hi, but I didn’t want to bother the guy when we were both busy. It seemed probable that either we’d have nothing to say, or wouldn’t get any work done. And Kendall Square was out of my way so I had to try to get out of there as quickly as possible.

3 Likes

Interesting article but as always they come so infinitely close and get no cigar. But perhaps that is smoke I smell?

I’ll summarise to the best of my ability.

Chomsky would state that he has a method which allows an empirical conjugation of reality. Something which Zizek would be inclined to rubbish, given his conception of the fundaments of reality. He criticises Chomsky’s contrariety (and I sure agree about that criticism of Chomsky) by using examples of the reality of virtuality.

Now, if one is to use empirical encapsulations, one must provide concrete examples and surely, predictions. The Foucault example in the article is certainly better stated than I could ever summarise so I’ll leave that be. Chomsky draws little of my attention and I would break my head upon the rock of his contrarianism if I were to try cracking it, I’m sure.

The following quote is, whilst being central to the ‘debate’, really funny and deprecating by the author: (IMHO)

For Žižek there is no finished human nature, but rather simply a process of working out how human beings are in the world. At the core of this argument is a question of whether the word “real” is spelled with a capital letter or not.

He is of course referring to the three ‘realms’ (my own take) of ‘real’ that one encounters in Lacanian psychoanalysis. Remember these terms are about reality, not necessarily about the perception of it. That’s why I love the Lacanian oeuvre so thoroughly; the asymptotic approach to a never fully stated or real-ised quasi-transcendental encapsulation.

If you can be bothered, and it will bother you (at least, it should), watch this Zizek video, it is fucking awesome.

Summary if you cant be bothered. (Taken from my notes and a quick watch through of the video and as such, containing, no doubt, many errors.)

Real-Virtual.
Real effects, generated by something that does not yet fully exist. The virtual.

The Lacanian triad:
Imaginary Virtual, Symbolic Virtual, Real Virtual.

Examples via Zizek.

• Imaginary Virtual.
    The personable image we hold to allow communication sans shitting puking, embarrassing functionality of the individual we must interact with. This concept is inclusive of the erasure we implement to enable this virtual image.

• Symbolic Virtual.
    Authority. In order for authority to be effective it must remain a threat. The raised hand, the threat of implementation, rather than the overbearance of fascistic impulse, which undermines its push for reality by engendering revolt. Here the authority must remain virtual in order to be effective and continue being real.

• Real Virtual. Must include definitions of a sub-triad (imaginary Real, Symbolic Real, Real Real)

• Imaginary Real.
    My favourite example, Giger’s Xenomorph. Totally unimaginable force, cannot be overcome. Ultimate catastrophic horror. (That’s why Aliens sucks as a film (*ducks)). Giger’s genius, the force that cannot be confronted and yet inhabits us.

• Symbolic Real.
    Quantum mechanics. Experimentally confirmed but unbelievable. Cannot be fit into the human mind. “If you think you understand quantum theory; you do not understand quantum theory”. Yet the symbolic computation can be proved to be effective in the same realm as we imagine ourselves to exist. Redolent of the reality (I think) of composite objects. Everything is composite. Every-thing.

• Real Real.
    That which you do not know but which controls reality the most.
    (Really, watch the video for this definition, he does better than I can).
    Attractors in chaos theory, they represent an underlying reality but which does not exist even symbolically. Fields in space-time, as you may be aware there is talk of the gravitational fields being primary to the energy density that is supposed (from our point of view) to curve space. No. The curvature is primary. The energy density is an effect of this. See Holographic theory.

How does this relate to psychoanalysis? Consider the trauma experienced by a child. The experience of a child of some sexual experience which is inculcated by the trauma of an event which cannot be understood but nevertheless warps the basic functions of reality that the adult, grown from the child, constitutes. The fields of mind twist the persona around them, given some real, underlying reality which informs and constitutes the being without being realised.

Now why do I think this constitutes a quasi-transcendental conception? The toy model of which we constitute ourselves, of which we are not necessarily constituted, must be thrown away if we are to take the discoveries of psycho-analytic traditions into account. The shadow falls behind us, yet we can theorise it’s reality without ever contacting it, merely by noticing its affects through analysis.

To Zizek, the vrtual-ness of reality is primary then; why does Chomsky take issue? His empiricism?

Now to Chomsky, what are his criticisms of Zizek?

Let’s start with is response to Zizeks flagrantly contrarian, posturing criticism:
(Slavoj Žižek Responds to Noam Chomsky: 'I Don't Know a Guy Who Was So Often Empirically Wrong' | Open Culture)

http://chomsky.info/articles/20130721.htm

Notice Chomsky’s turn to an avalanche of empiricism, data to mitigate theory. Encapsulated in this paragraph:

As the reader can easily determine, Žižek provides not the slightest evidence to support his charges, but simply repeats what he has probably heard – or perhaps read in a Slovenian journal. No less interesting is Žižek’s shock that we used the data that were available. He “totally rejects” this procedure. There is no need to comment on a remark that gives irrationality a bad name.

Gives irrationality a bad name. He could easily be a successful comedian with that kind of call back. He understands and even notes Zizeks clowning subterfuge. Calling out Noam Chomsky for being empirically wrong is a red rag to a bull. And will probably always fail.

At least they maintain a sense of humour in their criticism of each other, Chomsky’s grasp of facts, Zizek in his understanding of the encapsulation of his proposed theoretical framework.

If Chomsky thinks that he can free the people by critically destroying the framework of propaganda that has been instilled in them by the fascist state, then Zizek thinks that he can free them by showing the man behind the curtain, expounding a theoretical framework of that same inculcated ideology.

If Chomsky thinks he can transcend ideology by proving its ineffectiveness with counter examples to it’s proposed efficacy, Zizek hopes to undermine it’s reality through attribution of virtuality. A near bhuddic interpenetration of reality with mind; but using psychoanalysis instead of meditation and Koans. (Which, ok, Lacanian psychoanalytic art asymptotically approaches. IMHO).

Disclaimer: LOL, this is a mess, I am exactly one beer over the magick pintage and might be mangling things (more than usual).

Edited for speelings. back to the beer!

7 Likes

I wish I could do so well, with or without beer. Thanks, that was interesting.

2 Likes

What if most every comment you make is designed to bestow upon us a cynical opinion of bbs culture?

9 Likes