☭ Sup Marxists? ☭

Esquire interviews Rosie Huntington Whitely which is where I learned that Eve Ensler was consulted on-set for about a week.

How Mad Max: Fury Road Could Become the Most Surprising Feminist Triumph of the Year

Has this been posted in here before?

Guilty Pleasures - how to critique while still enjoying.

Found inside of the somewhat-relevant Feminism Ain’t Easy: That Time Joss Whedon Used Our Tweet to Call a Jurassic World Clip Sexist (in case you haven’t heard, JW has deleted his Twitter account, o noes!)./

2 Likes

Let’s talk about the “nanny state.”

Well, this doesn’t seem to be much other than a slightly more couth version of the OP, original gangsta AB DooDoo.

I can’t tell if VR is being funny and invoking Poe’s law or not. :confused:

But, it got me thinking, and researching. Seems that the “nanny state” has been a favourite tool in of rhetorical propaganda of the conservative right.

For their part, regressives seem to revel in the opportunity to fling the term. (NB: yucky thoughts await)

Hell, they even have their own attempt at a humor blog with that name.

If we were critical theorists, I’m sure we could analyze how the use of “nanny state” is always used in a negative context, and how those negative associations might translate into further individual and cultural devaluation and denigration of child-rearing, nurturing, education, and teaching brats some fucking manners.

If folks can find instances where “nanny state” isn’t a coded dog-whistle for “let boys be boys,” please share.

3 Likes

#CHRIS BURDEN IS DEAD, ALAS!

also

The artist who lays eggs with her vagina – or why performance art is so silly

In my work, seriousness was essential, otherwise the jokes fall flat.

In my work, jokes were essential, otherwise the seriousness would dissipate.

Why do I compare a joke to a poorly-made cake?
Why do I think seriousness is a gas (a form of matter, ungraspable, boundless, evanescent, chaotic and ghostlike[1])?

1 Like

Remember our classy friend, from the beginning?

He’s keeping it classy:

4 Likes

I think he’s trying fertilize his brain by keeping his head up his ass. Alas, I doubt this will be fruitful.

5 Likes

Oh… no, no, no… dudes just “keepin’ it real” and is a “voice for truth in a world dominated by libruhals”… /s

2 Likes

So he brags of needing to monetize misogyny/racism, because of Freedoms.

Calling him a loathsome shithead isn’t making his actions illegal.

my support for reproductive rights stems from the belief that no woman should be forced to pump out another man’s babies 'til she dies. There are plenty of great-great-great-great-grandmothers in my family whose lives consisted of just that. I like to think that such a situation is absurd in this day and age, but people like ABDada just keep on bringing it up again.

Reviving the Female Canon: Despite their influence in the 17th century, the era’s women thinkers are absent from historical anthologies of philosophical works. A group of scholars is trying to change that.

4 Likes

Looks like that link was broken. Try this:

2 Likes

(Cross-posted in a MMFR thread)

This is for real: Men’s rights activists call for boycott of ‘Mad Max: Fury Road,’ citing feminist agenda

Worried that I was falling for some hoax-joke that other outlets fell for, I did some investigative reports (bing).

Holy crap, he’s for realz:

https://twitter.com/aaron_clarey

https://twitter.com/aaron_clarey/status/599131483165437952

My Response to the “Fury” Over “Mad Max: Feminist Road”

However, despite the hubbub and drama, I am rapidly being proven right. The movie is increasingly looking like a feminist film, and so to (if you’ll forgive the term) “raise awareness” to this fact I started a hashtag on twitter that I hope catches on. #madmaxfeministroad Hopefully, (unless the movie proves otherwise) we can save a lot of people a lot of money and a lot of time, and again, I am more than happy to watch the movie if it proves NOT to have a lecture on feminism or SJWing, etc. in it.

(I might also add that this is how you handle the liberal media, in case any spineless conservative politicians needed a couple pointers.)

1 Like

Can’t find it now, natch, but someone on Twitter was complaining about it and saying how obvious it was that the director of the new Mad Max had never watched the original films.

4 Likes

Here’s one of the comments on the “apologia” post I excerpted above:

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=8358039&postID=3711309479276570354

Thanks for your article. I now will pass wasting money on another ruined franchise. Pitch Perfect 2 would be a better movie for teaching masculinity to your sons. [emphasis added]

Do we need to teach masculinity and femininity to our sons and daughters? Because if we don’t they’ll get it wrong … and get a crappy job?

After one of my miniature “I really don’t give a hoot about the SuperBowl” rants over the phone, my mother-in-law said “but what if your son wants to learn about sports, who will teach him?”

He’s worried he’ll like it.

2 Likes

If you don’t talk to your son about masculinity…someone else will?

3 Likes

Don’t these yoyos tend to claim to base their views upon evolutionary psychology and biological essentialism?

4 Likes

My kid is way interested in sports, well baseball and hockey mostly and he is doing a bang up job learning all about it on his own despite mom and dad being at best passingly interested in it. Mom is a little more into the hockey but she is Canadian and they get to do bonding over it which is fun to listen in on. We both kinda wish he would expand his reading horizons a bit beyond sorts non-fiction, but whatevs, he reads and read big proper books.

I would support my son or daughter, but I really hope I don’t have to sit on bleachers in the cold and rain. Never saw the appeal in school, and still do not. Yet.

AND NO FOOTBALL OR HOCKEY. Sorry Canuckistanis - those concussion stats look awful.