‘Super racist’ pool safety poster prompts Red Cross apology

He’s totally white. He looks exactly like my best friend from 5th grade, Richie Continello. Richie was Italian. Is that not considered white anymore?

5 Likes

You were doing great, until that last paragraph.

8 Likes

Yes. Dark hair, combined with the skin tone that’s just about a shade or two darker. Exactly like all my Italian American friends growing up on Long Island. They were all “Caucasian”. They still are. Even when they were standing next to my extremely pale, freckled, red headed Irish American ass.

4 Likes

Perhaps he needs a tailor; Spongebog did when HE pretended to drown.

2 Likes

I can play this game too! He totally looks like a friend of mine, who is Korean, even down to the hair style and sunglasses!

Does your anecdote trump my anecdote? Lets find out!

15 Likes

For those that would like to know how it could be done without bringing color into it:
http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/CourtesyCounts.htm

8 Likes

Nice attempt to deflect, but I choose to stay on the message, instead.
Again; exactly how many of the “cool” kids are obviously non-Caucasian?

By the way, Erin go Bragh; there’s a huge chunk of our family on my mom’s side that emigrated directly from County Cork.

2 Likes

I kinda expressed that poorly. It’s obviously “super-racist” as is, and should be fixed, but someone will be offended no matter how you fix it if they choose to be.

2 Likes

I don’t know about trumping your anecdote, but I do know that Soda Pop Kid’s white.

1 Like

So you say. I say he’s not and I have as much evidence as you do. So here we are.
(I am also a pale freckled red-head, tho Canadian-English, cuz that matters apparently?)

5 Likes

Clara Barton is rolling over in her grave.

1 Like

Maybe so, but then, WHO CARES?

Not me, because I don’t weigh all offenses equally.

Racism against people of color remains a huge problem (which this poster perpetuates), and supposed racism against white people doesn’t.

10 Likes

Did you draw the image? Because if not then:

And I just love how you completely avoided answering the pertinent question here, so I’ll ask it again:

Don’t worry, I can wait.

6 Likes

LOL what? I honestly don’t think I understand your point…

Is your point that the poster is not racist and we’re all being “outraged” for no reason?

2 Likes

Still isn’t if you ask the right (wrong) people or in the right (wrong) place.

I didn’t think the point was to win, I thought it was to point out how different cultural upbringings will emphasize different code markers for different races/ethnicities. Like the guy I went to grad-school with who insisted that Dean Cain looked so clearly Japanese that he shouldn’t have even been considered for Superman.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, there are no points for staying on the message. None for deflecting, either. Nobody wins. Nobody loses. Sláinte mhaith!

1 Like

Maybe he’s just really insistent that the kid with the pop bottle is White and nothing else about this discussion even matters?

I’m not trying to “win”: I’m making my point about the subconscious message in this imagery… y’know, the one which you are going out of your way to ignore.

4 Likes

All the more reason not to use racial markers like this in an infographic lest the message get lost and people think you’re racist because only the pale people are “cool”… Which is the point of the thread no?

2 Likes

Yup. 

1 Like

Some people are way more invested in their pendantry than actually acknowledging that any problem exists.

8 Likes