‘Super racist’ pool safety poster prompts Red Cross apology

But the kid with the beer and glasses is labeled not cool and he’s white. So it’s cool right? (except the kid with the beer is clearly the coolest).

1 Like

You’re definitely outraged for no reason. And I think the poster’s unintentionally funny, but no, not racist.

If you think this is outrage I suggest you don’t go any deeper on the web…

14 Likes

And all too often, in using pedantic nitpickery to derail.

9 Likes

Indubitably.

Despite all the mental gymnastics being employed here, the other guy still has yet to answer or even acknowledge my very pertinent question:

It’s not that a difficult question, am I right?

I’m not making it too complicated, am I?

5 Likes

Outrage was the word you chose. I just happened to not use the quotation marks.

What adjective(s) would you prefer to use to describe your current emotions on this matter? Bent out of shape? Annoyed? Disgusted? 'Cause now we’re just talking semantics.

Or maybe that should be “some antics”?

OMG tone down the outrage!! So much feminine outrage flying fast round here! Calm down ladies! Are you on your period?

If you were just nicer maybe he’d answer your question?

8 Likes

Despite all the mental gymnastics being employed here, the other guy still has yet to answer or even acknowledge my very pertinent question:

@pattwist73:

6 Likes

Some people must have a lot of free time, to be able to look for things to be mad about.

There’s a white dude with a soda marked “not cool”.

1 Like

Come on, man, get with the program. Apparently Soda Pop Kid is Korean.

1 Like

Are you really debating about the “whiteness” of a cartoon? I can’t even comprehend that level of “looking for things to be mad about”.

2 Likes

OH FFS

11 Likes

I think I need to close this tab.

Best of luck everybody, good job getting pissed at the Red Cross. Those assholes had it coming.

1 Like

As a former lifeguard (early eighties), the not cool infractions are:

• glass on the swim deck
  • diving in the pool when the other swimmer hasn’t cleared the area, which is why the girl waiting is good
  • running on deck
  • pushing another swimmer in the pool
  • screaming or shrieking

They attributed four or five of the six of the infractions to non-white swimmers; so yeah, I see that as problematic.

29 Likes

I am just confused. The kid diving from the diving board is not cool, the girl standing at the diving board is cool. The kid who is drowning(?) is not cool. I get running, pushing, and glass containers, but the poster is mostly just confusing. I don’t get why it is super racist either. Two lifeguards, one is white. two attentive parents, one is white. 7 kids are doing something “not cool” ,half of those appear to be Black. 2 kids and a parent are “cool”, and White. 5 kids have a status that has not been determined.
If Black people are either prohibited from diving, or not allowed in the deep end, yes it is super racist. Otherwise, I think we can be optimistic about race relations in the US today. People in the outrage business will always find something to be outraged about. As society becomes more egalitarian,those people will find smaller and more obscure incidents to generate the same levels of outrage.

3 Likes

That’s pretty much how I feel. Also as a European, I find it weird, and a bit creepy, to read people separating cartoons into “races” :open_mouth:

1 Like

The not cool isn’t about head first diving; rather, it’s not waiting for a clear diving area. Public pools with diving boards have a minimum depth regulation in states that care about such things. You’re not going to break your neck with a 10-13 feet diving well.

2 Likes

There are only two kids labeled “cool.” This does not seem statistically significant.

There might be some unconscious internal racism behind this, but maybe let’s save terms like “super racist” for slightly more serious offenses. The KKK is super racist. The National Front is super racist. This is a poorly designed poster.

7 Likes

Oh, was I being a big ol’ meanie bitch-a-rooney dooney again?

I really must work on that.

Huh.

Do I actually seem “mad” to you?

Or… could it be that am I just trying to engage in a conversation without someone trying to derail the topic so as to deflect from the valid points being made?

9 Likes

i meant the kid on the right side of the rope.