Supercomputing center in a beautiful, deconsecrated church

[Permalink]

1 Like

This location will be super convenient for the machine-worshipping tribespeople of the post-apocalyptic future.

6 Likes

I imagine the sysadmins have servoskulls humming along them and constantly mutter about “the machine spirit”. Let’s just hope they can keep the more nasty elements of the Warhammer 40k universe at bay.

3 Likes

This looks like something from a Bond film.

2 Likes

I bow before your god.

2 Likes

and the machine said " 42 "

2 Likes

Oooh! An FCCCP hideout!

That picture makes the supercomputer’s name seem especially apt.

The sysadmins really are High Priests!

“Deconsecrate”. Now there’s a verb you don’t hear very often. How exactly does that work…?

Is this a serious question?

It’s the reverse of a consecration. Priests remove the magic spells they formely put on a building, so non-believers can enter and make use of it without angering their gods.

Would you buy a building to install a supercomputer if you constantly had to be afraid that someone would turn the coolant fluid into blood or send a plage of bugs?

3 Likes

Father, Son and The Holy Ghost in the Shell…

1 Like

I actually had seen this exact location before in the latest Splinter Cell. It’s visible starting at 6:40 in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K7azMoCgMis

This is really neat looking, but still doesn’t beat the coolest thing I’ve ever seen - the Supernap data center(s) in Vegas.
We got a private tour while in town for HP Discover a couple years ago because a division of the company where I work has a cage there. It’s unreal. The thing that made me the happiest though - no damn raised floors. All the racks are bolted to reinforced concrete and everything is overhead.
The cooling and power technology there alone, though, is something to behold.

Bad precedent. When that supercomputer achieves consciousness, it’ll take one look around it and assume that it’s the Pope.

You’re thinking small.

Query:

“Is there a God?”

Response:

There is now.

1 Like

Well played; well played.

I think they also remove the religious iconography. the current tenants can’t be accused of desecrating a site, because the building isn’t considered sacred by those with anything to say about it. And the church gets to sell off a building and put the monies to better use.

Raised floors are considered obsolete, but I don’t recall why. Luckily for you, I don’t design data centers, so my vague recollections can’t hurt you.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.