Supermaker John Edgar Park shares his bitters recipe

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/09/supermaker-john-edgar-park-sha.html

2 Likes

What is a “c” in quantity? Sorry to sound stupid but I do often find it hard to work out American recipes.

What’s even worse are non-American sites that have hacked together a version for US audiences and you don’t know which tablespoon they mean (big difference) and it can be the wrong one…

“C” is for Cup. 1 Cup = 236ml

1 Like

cups? That’s a lot of sugar.

1 Like

Thats about 59ml dry of sugar to appx 755ml liquid, plus another 1/2c (118ml) later on. Seems legit. Although it is admittedly rather odd that the recipe mixes ml & cup measures…

Thanks, obvious when you mention it. The ml threw me (as in, they didn’t throw me in the sense that they are what I use but I do have measuring things for cups and half and quarter cups so I can use recipes on the internet. Tablespoons should be banned though…)

1 Like

How do you multiply 14 times 236 and get 59?

Look carefully, that says 1/4.

2 Likes

Well that makes MUCH more sense…

I mean, if it was a recipe for Coca-cola or something… :slight_smile:

1 Like

between the kerning and the one pixel wide solidus that was very hard to see on my monitor.

1 Like

Presumably because the ml measurements are for spirits, which have mandatory bottle sizes expressed in millilitres, 375ml being one of these sizes.

2 Likes

I have a few empty bottles leftover from when I made Krupnik at Christmas last year. maybe this would be a good use for them. I still have a couple of bottles of Krupnik left as well.

375 ml looks like it might be the ‘pint flask’ size of bottle.

The hell is a “supermaker”?

1 Like

It’s a big shop where you can buy all sorts of food and stuff?

2 Likes

That’s a supermarket. Supermaker is a 1950’s comicbook superhero character from the USSR (Супер производитель). In the spirit of the humble working soviet citizenry, he was known for making bread, piroshki, & wooden replacement limbs for stray dogs & being super good at it and super happy to not be noticed or celebrated for his personal achievements.

2 Likes

So Cool I had a chance to try some. It is da kind. Cheers!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.