What's the difference between a small and large beer at Applebee's?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/15/whats-the-difference-between-3.html

6 Likes

snl-kate-mckinnon-last-call

10 Likes

I don’t drink but I thought beer was sold with specific oz sizes listed.

5 Likes

Honestly the foam thing is pretty fair. Counting the head in one glass and not the other isn’t great. I could see that being a pretty solid 150ml, just from eyeballing it.

A fair test would be water.

8 Likes

This is kind of bullshit. The larger glass was underfilled by a good few ounces and had at least an ounce left when he was done. I have no interest in defending Applebee’s, but they’re correct that a proper pour would have a couple of ounces worth of head space. Assuming he’s holding a proper 16 oz pint in his left hand that means that the big glass holds around 20 oz, or an Imperial pint, which is a very common size upgrade. A very simple google search confirms this.

17 Likes

If I receive the number of ounces I ordered/paid for, then the size of the vessel in relation to others is immaterial.

My message to applebees would be to stop blaming customers and identify better ways of addressing complaints.

2 Likes

The rare times I order a beer, it is normally at a brew pub or draft house…to which there are never “sizes”. There are only ever ONE size as the glass is different based on the beer type you order.

Other times I order a pour of bourbon (shocking coming from me, I know) or perhaps a martini or Manhattan depending on the establishment. In which case you know exactly what you are getting (typically anywhere from 1-3 oz of spirits based on your drink type).

Oh and I never go to Applebee’s. So there’s that too.

EDIT: Added for the pedantic people: a flight is not the same thing as a small, medium, or large order of beer. That’s a tasting menu. When you order a flight of 4, you are essentially getting the equivalent of A beer just split into 4 sample sizes. Also “regular size based on the ABV/style”, yeah I said that - now bolded above.

2 Likes

That last 3/4" at the top of the schooner is probably 4-5 oz. Volume is weird that way. Coupled with the ounce or so left at the bottom after he poured it out, you’ve got the 6 oz. difference between the two sizes (16 oz. vs. 22 oz.). So, ignorance plus cynicism. Clickbait at its worst.

3 Likes

What kind of MAN would order a small beer? (thump chest)

5 Likes

Not sure which brewpubs you are going to but the ones around here at least have two sizes. There’s a regular pour which is whatever size depending on the ABV and style, and then there’s a taster size if you are ordering a small flight. Most places will give you a small taster if you’re deciding but apps like Untappd have lead to abuse and many of them have started charging.

2 Likes

Well your first mistake is going to Applebee’s.

22 Likes

Most of the breweries around here offer a “half pour”, which is really more like 9-10 oz. rather than half a pint. I like them because I like to try multiple beers, and a taster isn’t really enough beer for me to evaluate. I eat the cost, because they usually price the half pours higher per ounce.

1 Like

I was not counting a flight pour. that is entirely different.

Thanks for being pedantic about it.

1 Like

No problem.

“Sir, this is an Applebee’s.”

4 Likes

I didn’t know Applebee’s served beer. Is that a regional thing?

4 Likes

Technically, it’s a beer for children.

7 Likes

Quite possibly a woman, considering those too-long-for-physical-labor fake finger nails the beer pourer is sporting.

1 Like

Yes, but having made that mistake, you will want the large beer to help dull the disappointment that you will experience when your food arrives.

9 Likes

Infidel.

10 oz being… one half of one pint.

2 Likes