What's the difference between a small and large beer at Applebee's?

Um, a pint is 16 oz. At least in Applebee’s Land. Also, using 20 oz. of a liquid in a recipe that calls for a pint is gonna probably not turn out so well. Just saying.

1 Like

Talk about a beer desert. Where would one have to be to go for a beer at Applebee’s?
The bed of the pickup is better than Applebee’s.
By a lot.

2 Likes

Maybe they’re English? In the UK, a pint is 20 oz. because imperial measurements aren’t useless enough on their own they have to vary between countries.

9 Likes

That’s what I’m saying - if the recipe book was published in a country that knows how imperial units work, 20 oz is the exact number one should add, when a pint is specified.

I know Americans say “A pint is a pound the world around”, but it’s just not the case. A pint is a pound in the USA and literally nowhere else. In the rest of the world, “a pint of pure water weighs a pound and a quarter.”

3 Likes

The very last time I bartend in the Bay area, a women insisted on showing her Tinker Bell tattoo [on her ass] to every person that walked in the door, she look identical to the lady in the gif.

5 Likes

I feel like it’d be a rather specific regional thing if they do not serve beer some place. It’s a restaurant, of course it has beer? Plus every Applebee’s (And Chili’s and similar) I’ve ever seen has an actual bar in it.

1 Like

Fortunately, I’ve only been in this crap restaurant a handful of times, but in three separate states. Each location had beer available. It’s the only thing on the menu that is consistent and doesn’t contain cow, pig or bird.

4 Likes

You see, this is why countries who take their beer seriously (unlike the one I’m living in) insist on measure-to-line glasses.

7 Likes

So, it was Kate McKinnon, then? :wink:

But seriously, it’s from a sketch she often does called “last call” where she is in a bar and last call (with Kenan Thompson as the bartender) who is looking to hook up with the other only person in the bar. It’s pretty hilarious, actually. I’d highly recommend looking it up, just so you can see her make out in a disgusting fashion with half of hollywood.

5 Likes

dammit I’ve heard this joke before! Don’t tell me wait, is the punchline something about “they’re both pretty close to water”?

2 Likes

I deal with fluid volumes & weigts all the time and have never heard that a pint weighs a pound. I doubt many Americans have, either. Our justification for using imperial is a confusing mess of xenophobia, “it’s the way we do it here”, and just plain ignorance. I was working with an old-timer once who said he hated metric because it’s too confusing.

Hmm…

1000 ml=
10 cl=
1 l=
1000 cm3=
1 kilo

Yeah, I can see why it’s confusing to have a consistent system that directly translates between weight, volume and area.

ETA: Oh, and just because they couldn’t stand not mucking about in something that works, the UK also has “Imperial Metric” gauges.

4 Likes

Here in the States, we call it Budweiser.

1 Like

Thats a neat magic trick.
The only magic trick I know is making beer disappear.

3 Likes

I grew up in the USA (Iowa, just like Jim Kirk!) but I cannot picture ounces. To me, a normal glass of beer is 0.5l (or 500ml), a small beer is 0.33l (or 330ml), and all glasses in restaurants have a fill line either cast or engraved. Restaurants and pubs making up their own indefinite “large” and “small” seems like something that would encourage lawsuits.

OK, I do admit that we also have litre mugs, but those are only for tourists, beer gardens and Oktoberfest. And I hear in Cologne they drink beer in test tube sized glasses, but I cannot verify one way or the other.

3 Likes

But what is the price difference?

In Chicagoland, Applebee’s is mercifully hard to find. A big franchisee imploded during our last economic meltdown, and took with it most of their Chicago-area locations.

3 Likes

Keep in mind that the English fluid ounce is slightly smaller than the US version as well, and teaspoons, cups, tablespoons, etc. are also different. This can cause all sorts of recipes to go awry.

1 Like

Huh. If a person were to watch enough Good Eats, you would hear that frequently. “World 'round, a pint is a pound.”

Until 1827, the US and the British measures were the same. Then the British decided to recalibrate the pint (not quite sure why). By that time, there was not much hope the US would follow suit and so we stuck with the older definition until 1875.

In 1875, the US is one of the original signatories to the Treaty of the Metre. If you dig deep enough, all of our stupid metrics are actually defined using metric standards.

The US was about ready to make the final conversion around about 1974. Then we went into a severe economic recession, and it was declared too expensive to reprint and redeploy all the road signs. After that, it was all Regan and 'Murika and we weren’t gonna use no European metric system. Sigh.

9 Likes

No Tinker Bell tattoo then?

3 Likes

Having lived in Cologne, and having a set of the glasses in the cupboard, I can confirm Kolsch glasses are 200 mL.

2 Likes