Support Boing Boing by trying Amazon Prime for free!

Prime Day is pretty much always overhyped, however, all of the Amazon Alexa devices (Dot, Echo, etc) seem to be about half-off, and at that price they’re super worthwhile. Love my little Dot.

And Prime is well worth the price, especially if you have friends/partners/family at the same address, since you can all share an account. I had a new window A/C delivered for free in two days last week and I feel like Prime just about paid for itself right there.

I’ve been getting a lot of stuff same day. It’s been happening for about a month now and I have no idea what changed.

1 Like

Prime Day is a disappointment, because by the time we looked at available offers, many of them were sold out. I’m looking at you, Oculus Bundle!

No. This is not the kind of mutant shit I want to support.

Also, I can’t because I’m already a member :frowning:

I’ll get off the moral high ground now and resume trying to dig myself out of the crater that is late-stage capitalism.

Hey look, a geode!

1 Like

Wait, you’re complaining that you can’t support Amazon Prime and that you’re taking a moral high ground against something you subscribe to already?

When you realize that Prime Day is a marketing ploy that, aside from a few notable come-ons, lets Amazon free up space in their warehouses of all the stuff they have trouble moving the other 364 days of the year to make room for holiday merchandise, it’s all a bit less alluring.

1 Like

I’m not quite that deluded. With the moral high ground bit, I was trying to make a joke at my own expense. Not all jokes work.

While I’m being painfully sincere:

I come here for things I like: DIY stuff, cuttlefish, the EFF, weird fiction.

I go to Amazon because local retail is either dead, or prohibitively expensive. I find it disconcerting that the company has its tentacles (the bad kind) all over everything.

BB isn’t going to magically pay for itself. I get that.

In all seriousness, since I end up buying a lot of crap on Amazon since retail is disappearing locally (as it is everywhere) is there a link we can go to to make sure you get a few ducats when we buy our USB cables and components on Amazon? Much as I like your store, sometimes I need to order stuff that’s not there and I’d like a piece of that to go to something I think is worthwhile.

Every Amazon link on Boingboing automatically has their affiliate code attached. So if you want, you can can bookmark this link

… and you can pay your tribute.

2 Likes

Did Amazon clean up their act or are they still up to this modern-day slavery s***?

Until they improve I’m boykotting their ass, and BB should too.

2 Likes

I got Prime some time ago. Bricks & Mortar stores are getting strange. In some cases it’s like shopping in a Soviet type store where it’s only got one type of product, and it’s the one you don’t want. It doesn’t matter if it’s dental floss (Johnson’s waxed, as everything else shreds), or when I had to do a major repair on my old Subaru. The usual case is A, they don’t have it, but B, they can order it, and it will cost a lot and get in some time next week.

For floss, I got it on the same day, for car parts, they took two days, but it all arrived in time so after the fourth of July, my car was once again mostly reliable.

I get that Amazon is the evil empire, but it’s reliable. No spending extra time and fuel driving to get something. Just order, it’s there. When it comes up for renewal, there’s another hundred dollars that they are going to get.

I think it’s ingeniously cunning that when Amazon opens their own retail outlets, they’re going to disallow people from doing online price checks — precisely how they came to dominate the market.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.