Support the Human Rights Data Analysis Group in rooting out human rights abuses in Trump's America

The headline made it about rooting TRUMPS possible future human rights abuses. The fact you think NO Trump supporter cares about this means you are practicing the same biases some Trump supporters are practicing. I don’t now if any of them will care or not, or how to make them care. My point is by framing it the way the headline did, you are going to guarantee their cognitive dissonance is going to filter it right out.

Isn’t getting as many people to care about his more important than political barbs?

I am not saying you’re a bigot. If you sincerely felt that way, I am surprised, as that was never my intention.

I am trying to shine light on the caricatures everyone is making each side out to be. For sure you are right some Trump supporters want all those things you mentioned. But there are many who are just part of the political tribalism and voting against the Democrats. We need to not alienate them further and try to get them to call for reason and push back against any ugliness other party members are displaying.

That is my point, and by framing this issue as the headline, one might make some people care more, maybe, but it for sure is going to make a lot of people not read past the headline and if they do read it, they are going to go into it with a negative bias off the bat.

I am trying to think of an example… what if someone wrote a well written article on feminism, but titled it, “Do Broads Really Deserve Equal Rights?” Would one read it, or just skip over it assuming it was tripe? If one did read it, would one assume it was a neutral or positive article, or assume it was a negative one? Framing matters.

That is all excellent. The government always needs people giving oversight to its actions and shining light on any shady dealings. I know you didn’t write the headline so I have no issue with your org or what you do.

Possibly/Probably you will have more shit to track with Trump, but these issues are waaaay to important to frame as an “us vs them” issue. Well… us meaning Trump vs the rest. It is the citizens vs the government. These things are important for all Americans.

Under benign Obama the NSA was expanding, drone attacks still happening, and Gitmo wasn’t closing, though it did see a reduction in population. Already there has been an article lamenting the lack of protest of surveillance power during the Obama administration, but now we care because Trump will soon be in office.

Hell - maybe this is a good thing. Maybe if people finally see what giving the government too much power does in the hands of the wrong person, they will think more actively in the future on what is and is not acceptable.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.