Supreme Court gives Trump nine days to respond

I hope Trump makes a statement to the effect that he knows he can count on the support of Justice Thomas, as one of his co-conspirators was his wife, and she may need a pardon. He would first deny he said it, and then eventually say it was a perfect statement.

9 Likes

It is a challenge to remember all of his crimes and indictments.

12 Likes

:rofl: That was exactly the problem for me!

12 Likes

I’m not going to actually post an ED209 gif here or anything. I’m just going to suggest that this situation made me think of “you have fifteen seconds to comply” from RoboCop.

That way, I won’t get in trouble because I didn’t actually do anything.

3 Likes

dude your in so much trouble

1 Like

This.

I keep seeing people say stuff like “If this is true and Trump wins there will be no more elections.”. All I can think is, “Duh, if this is true, there will not be another election already. Why would Biden leave if someone else wins. The freaking Supreme Court will have just told him he’s above the law.”.

It’s clearly not. However, if it’s true that presidents enjoy total immunity, then why would it matter? Total immunity, political attacks would be just fine.

More than anything else, this exposes the entire line of argument about presidential immunity as only to waste time and not because they think it’s true. Since, if they manage to get the Supreme Court to say it is true, the Biden can just do whatever he wants. If Biden wanted to turn the whole thing into a political attack by the executive state, he could simply send them to collect up all the election deniers. They can all argue that’s it’s illegal and he can point at the Supreme Court saying the law of the land is that the President, which he is currently, has absolute immunity to do whatever they want.

A ruling of presidential immunity would be bad for everyone.

Bonus, it’s not a thing anyway. So, we should all be fine.

10 Likes

I’m seeing a political comic in my head: Trump, in the water, is struggling to not drown, and screaming “Presidential… privilege… is… absolute!” A justice above him is slowly pushing him under the water with a boat paddle and shushing him.

4 Likes

GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Sigh… It should be. It really should be. So why am I filled with terror?

13 Likes

This is exactly the outcome Trump and co want. The Democrats haven’t adopted the power at any cost mentality, so even with that ruling, Biden would step down as expected when his term is up. But if Trump gets back in, he’s already got the blank check ready to go.

1 Like

Maybe because you remember Gore vs. Bush (2000)?

IIRC, it was a very smelly supreme court ruling whose authors said flat-out that this ruling was a one-off and could not be considered a precedent. So the idea of “if this were applied generally, it would hurt everybody” seems to have been worked around before.

8 Likes

Depends on who is president at the time of the ruling - if it was me for example I’d go “Oh, so I can do anything I want eh?” order the matter of presidential immunity is put back on the docket for two days time, dismiss the Supreme Court Justices who made the ruling, and appoint replacements without going through the whole confirmation hearing process - because “presidential immunity, motherfuckers.”
Then tell the court they best overturn the presidential immunity ruling, because I won’t be as nice with my legally unlimited power if I have to try again…

ETA: Actually, I might have some fun with it too - like making a law that Trump has to waltz instead of walk, and start everything he says with “Me, a fat, dumb idiot who is very poor thinks…” I could even create an agency specifically to monitor Trump and enforce that law.

3 Likes

Thomas may have rethought that now that the only thing that maybe keeps him from being immediately indicted for corruption is his position on the court. At least until T**** gets back in power and can guve him a blanket pardon.

6 Likes

Boggles the mind…a president having justification for giving a pardon to a Supreme Court Justice

8 Likes

Alex Wagner points out that Trump planned the coup on Christmas

OPPOSITION TO MOTION FOR EXPEDITED APPELLATE REVIEW

The prosecution “requests that the Court require the defendant’s opening brief be due no later than ten days from the entry of a briefing order,” Mot. 5-6—which, assuming the Court rules promptly on the motion to expedite after the close of briefing, would make President Trump’s opening brief due the day after Christmas. This proposed schedule would require attorneys and support staff to work round-the-clock through the holidays, inevitably disrupting family and travel plans. It is as if the Special Counsel “growled, with his Grinch fingers nervously drumming, ‘I must find some way to keep Christmas from coming. … But how?’

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.