Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg treated in hospital for 'possible infection'

All heroes are indestructible for a time. And then eventually a day comes along when they aren’t.

3 Likes

“Can you stop with the negative waves?“
-Sgt Oddball, Kelly’s Heroes

5 Likes

No. There used to be a dodge involving filibusters, but that was wiped off the books during Obama’s 2nd term.

Had there been anything they could do, they would have done it with the last two.

5 Likes

The reasoning behind lifetime appointments is that SCOTUS justices will be immune from political pressure or personal career considerations and thus more objective in their decisions. The two big downsides are 1) Presidents are incentivized to appoint younger (and less experienced) judges to maximize their their impact on the court, and 2) Justices feel pressured to stay on the bench long past the date they really ought to retire for fear that the current President will appoint someone worse.

One fix that has been proposed has been to replace lifetime appointments with a one-time term of 20 years or so. That way you could appoint a seasoned, well qualified 50- or 60-year-old and still be reasonably sure they’d get to retire before their mind and body degrade to the point where they couldn’t handle the job. Unfortunately that change would require a Constitutional Amendment, which is a politically difficult obstacle in the best of times.

7 Likes

That’s not a good analogy.

1 Like

No, don’t do that! Don’t you know that atheist prayers cancel out those of the faithful? I’ve got a logical exposition proving exactly why this must be so… around here somewhere.

1 Like

This does not seem even remotely feasible, but who the F knows anymore.

Ginsberg probably: ‘You think a tiny infection is gonna stop me? I’m the motherfucking Incredible Hulk!’

7 Likes

tenor

3 Likes

I did think about it. That’s why I mentioned the (successful and triumphant) return of Apollo 13. Seemingly doomed — yet it’s crew returned safely. More that that, though… I recall how the entire world seemed engaged in hoping and praying for A13’s safe return. Likewise, I’m betting that much of the world is hoping for RBG’s return to health… and to the SCOTUS. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

You can’t power down all of her systems until re-entry, and even duct tape doesn’t fix infections.

2 Likes

When is an analogy not an analogy? When it’s an exact match in every important respect to the target. You can quote me on that. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

community-britta-analogy

6 Likes

I just send good thoughts. Is that OK?

2 Likes