Supreme Court refuses to block Texas abortion ban in 5-4 decision

There is no other body that can deal with interstate problems, so, constitutionally, the SC deals with them… :woman_shrugging:

But what do I know…

12 Likes
5 Likes

For the people who are focusing on the legal minutia of this issue rather than the REAL WORLD CONSEQUENCES of their fellow human beings losing their human rights…

Nit-pick the “correct” roll of the SC all you want. But maybe at least think about HOW this is going to hurt actual people. Some seem to be losing sight of that very basic fact here. Much like the trans bathroom and sports bans, voting restrictions, and gun proliferation laws, these laws are making this country less free and a worse place to live for many people here.

28 Likes

Seriously. Even if you’re “pro choice” know this: this law is condemning many women to die of ectopic pregnancies and many other conditions this ban on women’s healthcare forbids the treatment of.

It’s simply an assault on women by forbidding them lifesaving healthcare. And that’s the entire goal to republican voters. Nothing else.

25 Likes

Cool points, bro, but how’s your uterus?

10 Likes

Boy, that would get Republicans in a tizzy. Every gun show would be sued out of business. Heck, you could only apply the fine when you proved it, and you’d still put every gun show out of business.

Gun shows are filled with scary people.

“We have a workaround.”

8 Likes

I say we just invade Texas. In the name of freedom against oppression.

And they have oil.

11 Likes

But the exact duties of the SC is what REALLY matters here… /s

16 Likes

Birth control will be the next target. The hardcore forced birthers won’t give up the tingly feeling they get when thinking about controlling random women’s lives. There’s lots of money to be grifted by convincing them that the sluts need to be punished for having sex.

10 Likes

Their goal is subjugating women. Fund-raising is in service to that.

Can we FINALLY start taking these people AT THEIR WORD that they want to build a theocracy in America? Please? Is this FINALLY enough for people to see that?

28 Likes

38 Likes

Maybe people just don’t care because they recognize that destroying the lives of countless women will weed out some percieved competition for themselves. Misogyny is the norm not the exception, even on the “left” after all.

20 Likes

19 Likes

The more I read about this law the more layers of horror there are:

The patient may not be sued, but doctors, staff members at clinics, counselors, people who help pay for the procedure, and even an Uber driver taking a patient to an abortion clinic are all potential defendants. Plaintiffs, who do not need to live in Texas, have any connection to the abortion or show any injury from it, are entitled to $10,000 and their legal fees recovered if they win. Prevailing defendants are not entitled to legal fees.

So

1. Any person in America (or even outside the US?) can basically take any Texan to court over suspicion that they had something to do with an abortion, and they get $10K a pop if they win.
  2. Even a person falsely accused of helping a pregnant woman get an abortion can be out thousands of dollars in legal fees with no recourse and no means of disincentivizing overzealous bounty hunters from making more baseless claims against them or others.
27 Likes

I wonder if this is where the Supreme Court will come into play.

There will be a test case and that’s when the lawyers will figure out how to challenge the whole thing.

Or:

“Kill the poor, not the unborn.” (Factsheet 5)

3 Likes

They could have issued an injunction, but choose not to do so. That signals how they’re going to decide, I think.

We’re fucked. If you live in a state with a GOP controlled legislature, you’re fucked if you’re a woman.

18 Likes

I’m not sure how all those provisions are even constitutional no matter the thing they’re trying to relegate.

3 Likes

12 Likes

They’re constitutional because the SCOTUS when asked to see it, said they didn’t think it was a problem.

Not granting the injunction means the SCOTUS thinks however it shook out is fine and legal.

Sinces the SCOTUS’s only major job is to decide what is and isn’t constitutional, this means they’ve decided it’s constitutional.

3 Likes