Supreme Court refuses to block Texas abortion ban in 5-4 decision

Indeed. We’re going to see more of these types of laws in other GOP-controlled states, too, making it necessary to head to blue states… Didn’t someone upthread mention the fugitive slave act?

12 Likes

Fry-Im-Shocked-Futurama

2 Likes

link:

1 Like

What does “helping someone have an abortion” consist of though? If an oil company produces gas that then gets sold to a woman on the way to see her doctor, does this count as “helping a woman have an abortion”? Can we not just start suing the Texas oil companies? Can we do this as often as we feel like no matter how frivolously and not be found responsible for legal fees?

7 Likes

If I help a Texas woman obtain an abortion, I can be sued in a Texas Court, and a judgement entered against me for $10,000. The person who sued me gets the money.

7 Likes

15 Likes

I’ve got some clever ideas but the sad fact is that when the fascists are in power you can’t trip them up on their own logic or catch them with their own laws. The law isn’t going to do what it says it will do, it is going to do what it is meant to do - oppress women.

I think the only way* to fight back against the law would be to be awful. If I were a psychopathic mercenary law firm in Texas right now I’d be gearing up to cash in on some human misery (you can sue people based on them planning to help someone have an abortion).

ETA: * “only way” aside from tradition protest, organizing, voting, etc.

13 Likes
7 Likes

Like poking a stick into a hornets nest with any luck.

13 Likes

I recently stumbled upon Aid Access, where people can consult a doctor online and get abortifacients shipped to them.

1. If this is legit then that sounds great.
  2. Would the letter carrier who delivers the package be sueable with the new law? The USPS? The internet provider?

Edit: With 13.5 procedures per 1000 women per year of childbearing age and 6 million of those women in Texas (per google), that’s 81k procedures annually. If half of those couldn’t afford it, are there 40.5k people would would donate $150?

While this shouldn’t be something solved with charity but it seems that it might work. I’d pitch in.

1 Like

Well, if they wanted to shut down all package deliveries in the state then yes. If not, then no. I wish I was sure the answer was no.

6 Likes

Now one for Android, please.

4 Likes

It’s been almost a day now, have any suits been filed yet?

I’m not sure why Planned Parenthood didn’t immediately sue itself and ask for a bounty. Perhaps corporate suing a subsidiary clinic.

That would create a clear set of parties involved in a case, and present a clear advisory to challenge that the entire concept of this law is insane. If the court is going to hide behind that their wasn’t a correct party in the suit for them to issue an injunction, create one. Why wait for a real adversary when you can play both sides.

2 Likes

Fingers crossed that Frum is right.

After all, 70% of Americans apparently believe that abortion should be legal and readily accessible. And MANY of them passionately believe that.

9 Likes

30 Likes

So, note that on Sept 1, 2021 the Texas STASI was established, with the blessings of the SCOTUS.
End the filibuster.
Pass the voting rights laws.
Pack the courts.
Prosecute & imprison the perps of the Inurrection & ongoing Coup.
That’s just a start…

14 Likes
4 Likes

It’s pithy to say, but in truth I think the right cares far more about women than embryos, about which it is actually completely indifferent. The problem is that it cares about them in the negative direction.

7 Likes

There’s only one Dem-controlled state with gerrymandering (Maryland) and it was gerrymandered specifically to enable court challenges to gerrymandering.

Your example doesn’t pass the bothsides sniff test.

13 Likes

Oh, the Taliban took over Texas long ago; since 2015 when Czar Abbott & Taliban Dan Patrick were elected Gov & Lt Gov, respectively… joining with Cancun Cruz.
This law merely makes it official.
It gets worse from here, presuming inaction on the Federal level re: voting rights, etc.

2 Likes