Supreme Court shuns Marjorie Taylor Greene when she tries to appeal $100K mask fines

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/21/supreme-court-shuns-marjorie-taylor-greene-when-she-tries-to-appeal-100k-mask-fines.html

17 Likes

The Courts have zero authority over Congress’ own operations. I can’t even imagine what stupid theory this woman came up with to suggest they might.

18 Likes

Flogging. They came up with effing flogging.

“The House Rules, under this Doctrine, could impose physical punishment, flogging, or even more medieval forms of punishment, upon members and, under the D.C. Circuit’s precedent, no judicial remedy would be available, the Eighth Amendment notwithstanding,” via TheHill

17 Likes

I wonder how much Marge owes her attorneys for this stunt. Plenty, I hope!

29 Likes

It goes without saying that Greene never bothered to consider the implications for her own branch of government if the Supreme Court had asserted such authority.

13 Likes

Dumb_ass_warning

11 Likes

Thus, Georgia’s delusional Congresswoman, who repeatedly ignored $500 fines, still must pay more than $100,000 total. That’s a mighty expensive publicity stunt.

(letsee 5-2 right o decimal 10/5…) so one “stunt” equals 200 non-maskings? or is that a single non-mask over 200 days worth of stunt? and given that the House works about seven days/month… (“you failed to raise it to the power of rank stupidity”)

3 Likes

Sooooo, the House Republicans could, in theory, line up all the Democrats and flog them, literally whip them, in order to, let’s say, pass a bill so long as they gloss it under a coat of Doctrinal Rules? Intersting legal theory, that. I kind of hope they try that sometime, see how that works out for them.

4 Likes

She went by the hypothesis of “They’re mostly MAGA judges and I’m Super MAGA so they’ll give me a high five to own the libs”.

14 Likes

She’ll just take her living expenses from campaign funds. :wink:

9 Likes

1 Like

Implications? I bet she can’t pronounce it, let alone have any clue as to what the word might mean. So no chance of being able to extrapolate as to how it might apply to government if the Supremes had intervened. She’s fucking clueless about everything.

5 Likes

Any bets on MTG pegging this thing out and throwing up a GoFundMe page?

2 Likes

Im sure someone is into it, but seeing MTG and Pegging in one sentence got me feeling real bad.

6 Likes

despicable me idiot GIF

3 Likes

tenor

3 Likes

Well, she lost appeals to the legislative and judicial branches. The only thing left is to appeal to the executive branch and see what Biden says. But, seriously, she should have a basic understanding of how government works.

4 Likes

Biden Laughing No GIF - Joe Biden Head Shake Laugh - Discover & Share GIFs

12 Likes

As one does.
Or… more than one.
Lots more.

Or just use campaign funds to launder various coordinated donors and donations to skirt existing laws…

11 Likes

They don’t have to pass a bill about it. The House sets its own Rules and the Courts simply don’t get to weigh in on it – separation of powers and all.

To me the riot of Jan 6 was far down the list of terrible things Trump was trying to do that day – the most insidious thing was trying to get Mike Pence to not certify the EV. It’s not at all clear that the Courts could step and force Pence as President of the Senate to do anything – because of the separation of powers. It’s an extremely important principal, but when you have really shitty people who don’t care about the institutions – indeed very hostile against the idea that the institutions are themselves worth defending – some of the joinery in the Constitution can be exposed in ways never intended.

7 Likes