Supreme Court: Trump nominates Neil Gorsuch

I was confused for a moment and went to check of the US were actually still using leaded fuel…

That I found this conceivable tells more about me, I fear, than about the USA.

3 Likes

Gorsuch is described by the Washington Post as “a less bombastic version” of Scalia

I don’t wanna be that guy, but we could do a lot worse (and have!).

I am not suggesting to stop the resistance, but I at least can sleep a little more soundly now that the nominee isn’t someone who literally has tried to outlaw being gay

1 Like

Not for 20 years, but to this day there are plenty of people out there who think the banning of lead in gas was a left-wing assault on inalienable 'Merican rights. In the 80s it was still a current hot-button issue.

4 Likes

Kellyanne Conway must have turned the offer down.

He’s forty-nine? He doesn’t look a day over sixty.

2 Likes

My aunt worked at the EPA’s Atlanta office in the 80’s. I remember her wearing an Anne Gorsuch-inspired t-shirt (made by one of my aunt’s work colleagues) that said “I survived the ice queen’s acid reign” sometime in the mid 80’s. I’m hoping someone in the family still has that shirt.

EDIT:

and…

8 Likes

Considering the fact that more people voted for Hillary than Trump, I’ll likely tell them I understand why they choose not to vote.

I thought Jared Kushner might get the nod. (This is, unfortunately, not a joke)

Anyway, anyone have the dirt on this Gorsuch guy? The Hobby Lobby thing shows him as totally unqualified, but, you know, the bar for SCOTUS is well below “totally unqualified”.

2 Likes

We were even slower to implement a ban on Europe. Discussions about leaded fuel and catalytic converters were still very much a thing to disturb family gatherings in the early nineties, even.

Wonder what our children will remember in that way, with mild disbelief, from the current period.

But he’s Jewish. Bannon is only allowing him to remain in the room until he can fully overwhelm his father-in-law.

9 Likes

I remember watching news reports of some car enthusiasts in California (which enacted the ban earlier than most states) putting lead additive in their tanks or driving to Nevada to buy gas just so they wouldn’t be deprived of those sweet sweet toxins.

3 Likes

That wasn’t just some coal-rolling fuck you to the environment though. Older cars didn’t have knock sensors or the attendant ignition-retarding circuits that enable them to run on unleaded or low-octane at reduced efficiency, so you really did need the additive so as not to destroy your performance, and engine along with it. I think nowadays there are non-lead gasoline additives that accomplish the same thing but it’s been a long time since I had a car that old.

2 Likes

Kid Rock must be disappointed.

2 Likes

Has anyone told the d that he won’t be able to fire this guy if he isn’t satisfied.

3 Likes

At least, from what I’ve read elsewhere, this guy doesn’t seem to have “Overturn Roe v. Wade” as his personal agenda.

Or, at least, not publicly.

3 Likes

These Republicans remind me of those hard sell salespeople who are really much more clever with their rudeness than the typical customer. And the typical customer doesn’t want to appear rude at all, so the sales creep gets away with it. Only in this case it’s the Democratic party that doesn’t want to appear rude, so they just take it.

I think I’ll call it the Doormat Party from now on.

5 Likes

Not happy about his rhetoric in The Future of Assisted Suicide and Euthanasia, but it’s hard to imagine another R nominee that would seem to be in favor of pushback on executive power (“now more than ever” etc.) and wrote a 4th amendment friendly ruling. He honestly looks less authoritarian than Garland.

2 Likes

If at least one Senator doesn’t have a line of questions in the confirmation hearing that goes along the lines of:

Good to see you, Judge Garland, I was beginning to worry you’d never get a hearing.

…you aren’t Merrick Garland? Oh. No further questions.

I am going to be disappointed.

I expect to be disappointed.

https://twitter.com/jpbrammer/status/826835829570076672

6 Likes

And, related to that, to quote Wikipedia, she was

… the first agency director in U.S. history to be cited for contempt of Congress.

3 Likes

If contempt of Congress is a jailable offense, we should just build a razorwire topped wall around the whole country.

1 Like