Supreme Court: Trump nominates Neil Gorsuch

All I know is that I had a car that was built about a decade before the Apollo moon landing and the dire warnings about the effects of unleaded gasoline on its performance seemed overblown. It appeared to have equally terrible acceleration and mileage on both leaded and unleaded. (@Otherbrother has since converted it to run on CNG.)

2 Likes

McConnell confirms that Trump has asked him to change Senate rules to get Gorsuch confirmed if Democrats try to obstruct.

6 Likes

I thought it might be Peter Thiel (also not a joke)

3 Likes

Unleaded or not won’t affect performance or mileage; that’s down to octane. Lead is an octane booster, but it’s not the only one; there’s no reason for unleaded to be lower octane than leaded.

Where it will hurt an old car is that the lead also functioned as a valve lubricator… Modern engines have hardened valve seats so that they don’t need it; unmodified old cars may need a substitute valve lube.

3 Likes

Yeah, who needs to bankroll lawsuits when you can rule on them instead?

1 Like

I upgraded the valves when I did the conversion. So apparently I don’t need to track down a gaseous lead additive for my fuel? Good to know.

2 Likes

No, but hiding behind “executive privilege” when refusing to tell people what you did with the money they gave you is not exactly civil disobedience.

3 Likes

Judge Roy Moore? Try Judge Roy Bean.

3 Likes

If not Moore - it’s a toss up between Judge Mark Ciavavarella and the corpse of Judge James McReynolds.

I wouldn’t have been surprised by the appointment of Sawney Bean.

1 Like

Rolling coal, 1980’s version.

2 Likes

He wouldn’t have made it onto the short list if that were true.

2 Likes

If you scroll past the headline quickly enough, you might accidentally read it as Newt Gingrich.

How’s that for terrifying?

4 Likes

About that paper…

EDIT: fucking stupid HuffPo and its fucking stupid mobile links.

Also:

https://twitter.com/domjoly/status/826888856108675072

4 Likes

Daily Heil link, but still…

6 Likes

My major beef with Gorsuch is that the seat he’s nominated to fill should have been Garland’s a year ago.

The “Fascism Forever” thing seems to have been a joking response to people calling conservatives fascists. As attention-grabbing as it is, I don’t think it’s a real thing.

2 Likes

Sadly, the “we are one” rhetoric is the foundation of Trumps success - we are one people, one nation. They define the outgroup differently of course. The problem to be solved is that they are part of the we. If I like it or not.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.