Surveillance camera vandalized in Russia

I’m going to scare the crap out of you.

Take a good look at what’s available in cheap video cameras and you will see a rather disturbing trend towards Wifi (with a distinct IP) 24/7 cameras with built-in DVR’s that only need power to be tied to the net.
I’ve already seen security cameras that stay offline until an IR sensor detects a heat signature and then camera goes live and starts recording plus dials up the owner and feeds him video to watch in realtime (via his cellphone). Usually marketed to homeowners under the guise of “home security” they are the next step for Nanny Cams

I do have to say one more thing:

2 Likes

That’s indeed creepy but my crap remains comfortably inside me since spy cams have been around forever. Sure they’ve gotten better, but hidden cameras have always been around for people who want to be jerks. This guy is just being a jerk out in the open, and his neighbors are registering their complaints.

2 Likes

We should be far more worried about the overall indifference to the public’s acceptance of technology that can be used against them.
Granted, the issue that the neighbors have with this guy’s spycam is one that may or may not be readily apparent but what happens when this becomes the norm? If every attack on the camera is publicly posted (on youtube or elsewhere) what once was an isolated event will become common. (Have you seen all the Russian car crash video’s from the dashcams?)
It’s a very short step from where we are now to total control (by the government through rule of law) of public posting of video.

I’m going to call this idea the “Sugarmountain Project”.

[quote]
We should be far more worried about the overall indifference to the public’s acceptance of technology that can be used against them[/quote]

Um, that’s exactly what concern with this camera represents. Is that not obvious?

Well crap. Here I thought I’d had an original thought and you beat me to it.
It appears we’re talking about the same thing, just with different viewpoints.
Well done.

1 Like

You bring up a really good point about our acceptance of dash cams and surveillance creep. I want to think that dashcams are more accepted because they’re so practical in the case of an accident, but a security camera is obviously practical in the case of a crime. Maybe we take it as a given that dashcam footage isn’t actually reviewed unless there’s an incident, whereas security cameras are more tempting to watch out of voyeurism. Dunno. Either way, kudos to these little old ladies with their hammers and spraypaint!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.