Survey: Republicans don't like Game of Thrones

Well, to be fair, it’s a female blogger who starts the article saying that every man in her extended family owns a machete. She also says they’re all white collar workers with degrees. So she comes from a family of fantasist preppers and seems to think everyone should be like them.

I thought its title referred to its viewership.

2 Likes

I dislike GoT, but just re. Walking Dead (which I haven’t seen) being on both lists:

Isn’t there a pop-psychology theory about Vampires being popular during Republican administrations, and Zombies during Democratic?
The reason supposedfy being that:

1. To the Repubs, vampires are scary because they represent individualism, sexuality, European/Old World origins, and such
  2. The Dem nightmare is more of the mindless consumerism, mob mentality/rule, subjugation of self, etc.

Fun theory, but I’m sure it doesn’t hold up either scientifically or to serious media analysis.

3 Likes

A Conservative female blogger? Phyllis Schlafly is rolling over in her grave!

1 Like

Would be interesting to see if there is a difference among/between Trump supporters in the Republican Party. In my family, the biggest Trump fans also love GoT.

Quick! Send every Republican you know a DVD of Sense8 , stat!

3 Likes

Obviously, they didn’t include independents, because Mr. Robot isn’t on the list.

8 Likes

SPN did indeed have a gay character, but she was killed permanently last season.

(I say ‘permanently’ because pretty much every main character has died more than once.)

3 Likes

Hey hey now, they had the super rugged woodsmen type gay hunters this season!!

One episode sure, but they didn’t die!

2 Likes

Yes, that’s right; they sure did.

I was thinking of recurring characters, but I do remember that episode and appreciating how non-stereotypical the hunter couple was portrayed.

1 Like

I mean they have a TERRIBLE track record with keeping women or PoC alive on that show… there’s no getting around that, but at least this one time they didn’t.

Its funny tho, this chart makes me wonder why the right and the left like the show… I’m left-er than most democrats and I lurve that show and all its homoerotic-subtext! But the right? I guess they like the “God” and angels and black & white nature of its plots. Hilarious! Do they not see all the subtext? Like, at all?

4 Likes

True, unfortunately.

I have no idea what the appeal is for those on the right; you’d think all the “blasphemous” elements of the show would be a huge deterrent; Chuck as God, God having a sister, the King of Hell is a sympathetic character, the Winchesters working with demons & monsters, Dean had sex with an angel, etc…

3 Likes

I’d love to know about recent movies. I definitely saw a Republican/ Democrat split on whether or not someone liked “Batman versus Superman”

(with republicans liking and democrats hating it)

They’re careful to throw a Busty Asian Beauties into frame every now and then, so viewers can reassure themselves that Sam and Dean are totally about the ladies. Yeah, Dean and Crowley (for example) definitely went there, no question in my mind. But again that show is very, very careful never to make those relationships explicit.

Now that I think about it this jibes pretty well with so many Republican congressmen, who are so obviously self-hating, closeted gay men but take great pains to disguise it. Another dissertation?

3 Likes

I’d say there’s prima facie evidence something hinky is going on with a survey that indicates shows on OWN and BBC-America are in the Top 10.

3 Likes

Ayn Rand/Tyler Durden slash fic,This is what the internet needs :slight_smile: Rule 34

1 Like

2 Likes

So maybe the question is not what Republicans say they watch, but what they won’t admit to. One pictures them in the privacy of their own bedrooms, binging on Sense8 and Grace and Frankie, and fast-forwarding through GoT for the gay scenes.

1 Like

Agreed. The main characters have been becoming bad guys and I think have passed the watershed in the last couple of seasons.

Evil is just so easy, and often it appears necessary.

1 Like

Crowley

3 Likes