Survivors of CIA torture describe homebrew electric chair used at Afghan black site

2 Likes

This. X10.

That’s the price of freedom and needed to protect our liberties.

nah … just kidding

Even if he had been his bodyguard torture isn’t a viable option as the US signed and ratified the United Nations Convention against Torture prohibiting torture and other acts of cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment or punishment.
Guess who was vice-chair of the Committee against Torture who is monitoring the implementation of the Convention by State parties until 2015? I remember the outrage when Saudi Arabia was member of the UN Human Rights Council … this reaches similar levels of hypocrisy.

4 Likes

Can we stop pretending that our own electric chairs are any more humane?

1 Like

A lot of people forget when they mention bad apples that the saying is “a few bad apples ruin the bunch”. Problem is the few bad apples seem to be those making policy.

2 Likes

hypocrisy

I just heard that America tried for war crimes and executed Japanese prisoners because they waterboarded American prisoners.

…which was already hypocritical as fuck, as the US Army had enthusiastically used “the water cure” as torture during the Phillipines war.

Soldiers in action will commit war crimes; this is pretty much inevitable. Young men, trained to celebrate violence, placed under extreme stress, facing people who they are encouraged to dehumanise (and who are often racially and culturally distant from them), will frequently do horrific things.

But you can reduce the incidence of war crimes by (a) stomping the perpetrators hard when they occur, and (b) not deploying military force unless there is no other option. The fact that atrocities are an apparently inevitable part of war needs to be part of the calculation when evaluating the cost of military action.

The US is a notable failure at (a) as well as (b), and has been throughout its history. Hence, the US military commits a lot of war crimes.

3 Likes

I’m clapping and weeping in my heart, thank you

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.