Suspect hands cop "Get out of jail free" card from Monopoly

Originally published at: Suspect hands cop "Get out of jail free" card from Monopoly | Boing Boing

2 Likes

My buddy, who was in and out of jail numerous times, used to wear a shirt that said “Do Not Arrest This Man.”

He was arrested in that shirt.

24 Likes

This was in Minnesota not Oklahoma?

2 Likes

Do not pass Go.

4 Likes

What’ve you got to lose?

Well, the card itself I suppose.

3 Likes

he took a Chance. that’s how the game is played

11 Likes

Hey it worked in Darkseed

2 Likes

Looks like Hasbro needs to print a disclaimer on those cards, lest they be charged with fraudulent advertising.

2 Likes

This is an old trick that Brian Brushwood has included in a few of his talks on Social Engineering.

(Explanation starts at 13:10)

2 Likes

On the one hand, gotta admire the sense of humor. On the other, doing wacky bits on the cops is something you probably only walk away alive from if you have the right color skin.

8 Likes

He even sells it as part of his “Baddassify Your Wallet Bundle” on his website: Badassify Your Wallet Bundle! – Scam Stuff

“Let’s tease the cops” is definitely a white boys game.

5 Likes

Did his car look like this?

Untitled

6 Likes

(queued up to the relevant bit)

I had heard of an NYPD version but had never seen one until a visit back east for a wedding. At our table was a family friend who worked as a civil servant and knew a few cops. She showed me a card given to her by one of them. It seemed to be a little smaller than a credit card. Emblazoned on it was an NYPD badge, the issuer’s badge number, and “NYC PBA”. Noice.

1 Like
3 Likes

I’ve heard at least 2 first or second hand accounts of this happening to people I know in New York. One a guy from Long Island and another an older guy from brooklyn.

1 Like

there are people here who don’t even leave them in their wallet. they leave them on the dashboard as a pre-emptive move to avoid a parking ticket. no idea if this strategy works or not.

1 Like

Seems like if the cards work, you could just buy the Atlantic Boardwalk for $400, and be sitting pretty for life. More lucrative than trying to dodge crime with the get out of jail free card.

2 Likes