Suspected serial killer caught after cops put out a bait mannequin

Welcome to my entire childhood/teenhood/young-adulthood…
It was quite common for a guest to mention that they woke up in the middle of the night and were freaked out by all the eyes staring at them.

3 Likes

I’d be curious to know what the breakdown is between people with a sadistic interest in violence pragmatically favoring soft targets and people whose commitment to the just world hypothesis has taken to dwelling on some of its uglier implications.

1 Like

He just hates Kim Cattrall so much!

2 Likes

He tried to murder someone. It’s attempted murder at least (doesn’t matter that there wasn’t a person there). I’m guessing they will also be able to prove he killed the other two men.

If you are in the camp that believes anything past season 3 exists, Lumberjacking

2 Likes

Who knows, maybe he walks? but enough homeless people will know who he is. Maybe the problem will take care of itself?

I’m not advocating for a group of homeless people to find this gentleman and set him on fire or anything if he walks. I’m just saying it would be a possible outcome.

Pun intended?

And, on an unrelated note…

<pedantry type=“rampant”>If a serial killer is someone who kills three people on different occasions, is he still a serial killer for killing two people and a mannequin?</pedantry>

That’s my next song title sorted then.

5 Likes

It is(one hopes) more illegal to bash in the skulls of the homeless; but would you want to be facing strong evidence of unprovoked destruction of police property, with the people in a position to decide whether or not to press charges and how hard under the strong suspicion that you are a brutal murderer?

A little destruction of property could likely be smoothed over under more sympathetic circumstances(if you are eligible for ‘boys will be boys’ or similar treatment; are smart enough to start politely acting sorry when caught, have decent odds of having good legal representation, say, I’d be surprised to see consequences beyond paying compensation and maybe having to keep your nose clean for a period of time in order to get the record sealed or expunged); but these are…not…sympathetic circumstances; and a suitably motivated adversary can probably think of a surprisingly long list of ways in which smashing up police hardware being used for an investigation is illegal.

1 Like

So, I’ve taken tests for psychopathy, autism, anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, and… They all come back negative.

The only positive test result I’ve encountered is, “you’re just kind of a loudmouth jerk”.

4 Likes

The “I knew it was a mannequin” is a defense against the “tried to murder someone”. It’s not murder to smash a mannequin, or even attempted murder if he knew it was a mannequin. If they have credible evidence that he thought it was a real person, then they could go for an attempted murder conviction.

As it stands, what they now have is (a) him in custody, (b) his hammer in evidence, © probable cause to get a warrant to search his home for other evidence, etc. What they are looking for is not an attempted murder conviction based on his smashing a decoy, but a murder conviction(s) based on evidence linking him to the other two murders.

3 Likes

Since you mention it; does anyone know about the history/commonness or rarity/regional variations/etc. in protective collaboration/cooperation among the homeless?

On the one hand, some of the same things that cause homelessness probably aren’t good for organizational excellence; and one common human response to extreme adversity is conflict; but plenty of homeless people are more or less fully functional, and collaboration with people in similar circumstances is the other common human response to extreme adversity.

I feel kind of lazy just throwing out the question without any research; but I’m having some trouble finding the right words/phrases/disciplines to start(the homeless are a bit too close to home to be a stock anthropology topic; often too weakly associated with the labor market to be of interest to economists or more marxist-historian types who are ultimately interested in people in the context of their economic relations; mental health types are more interested in fixing what ails them; criminology and policing are more interested in ‘fixing’ them, etc.); though it seems like the sort of subject that somebody would have identified as interesting.

Even aside from humanitarian considerations, or a desire to get them out of one’s city; the lives and social situation of people almost entirely too poor to be participants in the contemporary market economy society as we usually know it; but living right in the midst of it, seems like it would be of considerable theoretical interest.

1 Like

@Blaze_Curry @SenorSchaffer … you are welcome! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Can we not with the “unhinged” and other comments questioning this man’s mental stability? It seems to happen every time there’s an extremely violent or serial killing(s).

Statistically, mentally ill people are more likely to harm themselves or be harmed by other people. People who keep hearing and thinking that crazy = dangerous and decide to preemptively defend themselves, people who prey on the weak and people who just lash out in fear.

The other thing it does is prevent people from recognising when they have issues or from getting help for fear people will find out they are crazy and will abandon them. And that isolation does happen and it makes things worse.

ETA: Yes, sometimes mentally ill people do harm others, but at a level far below the general population. People can be evil without actually having a mental illness.

10 Likes

That first Doctor Who episode almost made me not want to watch the rest.

2 Likes

But they can see if the hammer matches the wounds on the other victims. They can ask him for alibis for the other murders. They can pull surveillance camera footage (which is ample in Vegas). They can even pull cell tower data ala Serial to see if he was in the vicinity of the murders if he was carrying a cell phone at the time if he decides to be obstinate and argue maybe he just has a popular model of .

Recall that the series of events that locked up Ted Bundy started with a minor traffic stop.

2 Likes

But that was unreliable data! Ugh!

If he lives far from the crime scene it can help. It’s just not as granular as they make it out.

I absolutely do not believe dexter has more than three seasons.

That “What If?” segment afterwards got a bit long though.

1 Like