Swastika, N.Y., to keep name after vote

Not being familiar with the somewhat issues involved with being a “hamlet”, does this mean that it legally doesn’t exist (as a town), so doesn’t really have legally official name?

That must be one of the rare cases where the UK town was actually named after the American place. After all it was William Penn who named his extensive holdings in the American colonies after himself and it’s clearly a learned construction rather than an organically grown English hamlet name.

It’s part of the town of Black Brook. But the town is 134 odd square miles so it contains several unincorporated areas. In New York State villages can be incorporated within towns but they must have a population of at least 500 and be no larger than 5 square miles. I suspect that Swastika meets neither.

1 Like

Memphis, TN… Cairo, IL (pronounced CAY-RO)… Rome, GA (which was almost Hamburg)… Athens, GA… Canton, GA… Apparently, there are 16 Berlins in America! We have little originality here…

2 Likes

There used to be a Swastika Laundry in Ballsbridge in Dublin, Ireland.

Apparently they saw fit to change the name in 1939 but the factory chimney displayed the the word Swastika, topped and tailed by a swastika symbol, up until the late '80s early '90s. It was weirdly incongruous in a posh, leafy Dublin suburb.

The chimney is still there and the last time I looked I could still make out the palimpsest of the logo.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.