Sweden hunts for undersea intruder, which could be Russia or possibly Nessie

[Permalink]

It is ghost of Kursk…

Quick! Dust off Soviet-era paranoia narratives, so we can have Slashdot-style Yakov Smirnov snark!

“In Soviet Russia, hidden submarine finds YOU!”

1 Like

It was only otters last time, wasn’t it?

Someone has mad 'shop skilz.

1 Like

Nessie? Somebody obviously failed topology 101. The shores of Loch Ness are a closed curve, thank you very much. This is a different Diplodocus.

The Russians insist it’s a Dutch submarine. Here’s a credible source:

Or it could be Americans and/or Brits…
AGAIN!

2 Likes

Obviously Sea Dayaks.

Cthulu.

PROVE ME WRONG!

I think they were mostly British.

1 Like

The existence of “Dutch submarines” already stretches the tenuous limits of credulity…

I suppose they have a coast and maritime history, but today? They narrowly lead Switzerland as a naval power.

To think that once the Saxon scourge was launched on Britain by such as these!

1 Like

Every prudent Dutchman keeps one in the garage just in case the dike system finally gives out.

3 Likes

Could just be Richard Branson :slight_smile:

Cthulhu isn’t a sea dayak. QED.

1 Like

This is a perfect moment to hearken all ye Forteans to dust off your used book glasses and pick up a copy of biologist Ivan T. Sanderson’s wonderful collection of underwater Forteana, titled Invisible Residents: A Disquisition upon Certain Matters Maritime, and the Possibility of Intelligent Life under the Waters of This Earth. (Avon Pub. 1973).
Of course 21st century primates can teep it here, though I still champion the experience of digging through the used book stores.
LO!

Depends on how you count “last time”. :slight_smile:

http://www.blekingemuseum.se/bmcd/u137/galleri/galleri.html

Hello,

Out of curiosity, are there any undersea communications cables that terminate anywhere near Stockholm (even a few tens of km away)?

I used to think, wow, the ocean is big, surely somewhere there could have been large organisms like diplodocus that survived, at least in principle, even if there is no good evidence to even make considering the hypothesis worth my time.

Then we found the Chicxulub crater, and roughly figured out the gigatonnage of what the impact would have. The shockwave alone would have deafened every living thing on the planet, making anything with an ear unable to balance (or underwater, to orient itself). Hence why short light things at least occasionally survived more readily, and why the extinction rate in the oceans was so much high than on land. Also, land waves 30 ft high circumnavigating the globe.

Fun thing you can calculate yourself with some google fu - it should have been audible (if you could avoid the deafness) twice every 34 or so hours anywhere on the planet, even six months after impact.

3 Likes

Well, before Britain demolished the Dutch and Spanish competition, yes… :smile:

That Naval Jack-flag? Flashback inducing!