Swimming pool in skyscraper was bad idea

If they did it right, a swimming pool would make a dandy mass damper!

2 Likes

depends on the size of the cruise ship.

I do recall deliberately jumping off the side of a sailboat at sea and having a bit of a swim. But you can’t really do this from the Norwegian Breakaway.

that movie was such a mess

1 Like
3 Likes

Drowned in a shallow pool during an earthquake, what a way to go.

1 Like

High winds, nonsense.
It’s been well established by now that vertical video can cause bodies of water to oscillate.

3 Likes

I was told they always did it. Pretty sure it’s relatively common. Seems not.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00038628.1997.9696822

One hot tub Cadillac coming right up:

“fastest hot tub” - yeah right, anything more than about 15mph, then cornering, and your guests end up street surfing…

1 Like

bidets are pretty common in much of the world, they’re not a luxury item.

https://youtu.be/B5YNiCfWC3A

So true!

1 Like

be careful. maybe a urinal s are dangerous. i’ve used several and most have turned out to be decorative fountains or potted house plants. i prefer definitely a urinal s.

4 Likes

tumblr_nbavlsLvd81r2detio2_1280

1 Like

My take is: If your main audience is going to view it on a device with a vertical screen (phone) why not save them the bother of having to rotate it? Vertical video works well on smart phones! If I make a video for sharing in a phone chat application (Whatsapp, Signal, Telegram) I will default to vertical.

The real unexplainable evil are vertical videos with encoded black bars on the sides that do not disappear once you make it full-screen on a fitting screen. Or even worse (since this evil is impossible to create by accident) vertical video’s that have been filled up to fit the horizontal video format by including a faded stretched version of the video behind the original. When I open either of those on my phone there is no way to look at them in a normal size :angry:

4 Likes
2 Likes

I saw that video years ago. It didn’t convince me then, and it doesn’t convince me now, the premise being that there is a right and a wrong way to record videos.

Go ahead and say vertical video sucks on a horizontal screen, I will agree with you. If you want to complain that video made on a mobile phone held vertical will look bad in a movie theater I will agree with you, but the fact that you held the phone vertical is not your biggest quality concern in that situation, the biggest concern would be the fact that it is shot hand-held, by a amateur.

Actually the video you sent illustrates the problem nicely. People that make and consume video mostly for, and on, desktop computers and laptops are annoyed by these vertical videos, never intended for their screens, intruding into their stream and not fitting with their expected behavior.

Other people are using cameras and computers differently from you, complaining about this as extensively as Glove and Boots did in this video, strikes me as a very elaborate way of saying “Get off my lawn”.

4 Likes

It’s not as though it’s beyond the ken of Youtube’s web designers to create a vertical format video page and present vertical videos at the same resolution as their horizontal format, without the black bars and spooky backgrounds. I can only presume they haven’t because they’ve let themselves be convinced by shallow arguments like those of Glove & Boots.

1 Like

*strikes @redesigned from housewarming guest list.

5 Likes

They did it in the Comcast Center.

Seems good so far.

http://www.dhuy.com/comcast-center-tuned-liquid-column-damper

i personally enjoy watching all my snapchat videos sideways after exporting them