Swimming pool in skyscraper was bad idea

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/26/swimming-pool-in-skyscraper-wa.html

6 Likes

Sounds like quite the rich person problem

36 Likes

While I don’t feel much sympathy for the uneaten rich…yeah. That’s it.

11 Likes

One of the grossest things I have seen in my life was a rooftop swimming pool on a hotel in Delhi. The water was a deep gray.

6 Likes

More of a hot tub than a swimming pool…And who the heck puts that in their dining room? Seriously? Putting what has the potential to be a giant petri dish if not carefully maintained right next to food prep and eating? That is a triple plus bad idea.

33 Likes

was coming to say the exact same thing.

5 Likes

I guess the people designing the poolettes didn’t talk to the structural engineers about the expected sway in storm conditions. Hopefully someone mentioned to the structural engineers “Oh by the way, we’re loading many tons of water on the top of the building, does that make a difference to your calculations?”

22 Likes

The fact that the buildings sway so much in the weather makes me think skyscrapers are a bad idea!

My dad used to work in the Transamerica Occidental Life Insurance building in Los Angeles (one of the first modern skyscrapers in L.A.) and he said the building would vibrate and rock back and forth in high winds, after remote earthquakes, and after underground nuclear tests in Nevada.

People complain about building codes in the U.S.A. but some of them are actually quite practical.

14 Likes

ces poolettes ?

3 Likes

As stupid as the pool is, why the hell didn’t the person filming it put down the phone and hit the button to drain it instead? Even if it just takes a foot or two of water out it probably would have prevented quite a bit of damage.

23 Likes

If it’s in a skyscraper, it’s probably not his pool. Also, it’s not in somebody’s living room, that’s probably a small bar.

5 Likes

Needs more cow bell tuned mass damper.

28 Likes

It looks like a dining room, with the kitchen behind it.

5 Likes

Developers, Developers, Developers!

12 Likes

Same answer as always: someone with more money than sense.

10 Likes

It was my understanding that pools in dining rooms should have dolphins in them.
2010-07

28 Likes

Anyone whose home features here:

3 Likes

Yes. See floor plan here:

(área de lazer is recreation area and espaço gourmet is gourmet space)

20 Likes

Can damping systems be retrofitted? I’d guess not, or if they can I’m sure it is fairly invasive.

2 Likes

The best part is that the people who put in these “luxurious amenities” are the same ones most prone to saying “well, if you’re so smart why aren’t you rich like me?”

12 Likes