Swimming pool in skyscraper was bad idea

That looks and sounds sort of relaxing. Well except for the whole swaying skyscraper part. And the maybe the not all that irrational fear of being flushed out one of those floor to ceiling windows in a big wave.

3 Likes

Reminds me of a great Futility Closet episode.

Once in kollidge some bright light decided to block the entrance to the 7-8 nozzle open shower with a piece of plywood. Only maybe two floors up. They had it filled to about chest level when I got there. Some guys were swimming in it having a grand time. Solid concrete block construction. Still, I took a look and decided I would shower, er bathe, later!

5 Likes

I’m totally adding a urinal if I ever own a bathroom.

The house I grew up in had a bidet. It was about twenty years before I realised they are for washing your arsehole in, I just used it as a foot bath.

4 Likes

Man, what a waste of a free wave pool ride!

At least I would jump in and play and be The Baffler, the hero who counteracts and baffles the waves. Easier than having to clean that mess up. And more fun for sure!

5 Likes

“Those bastards! I. Didn’t. Know.”

3 Likes

Ah, silly not-wealthy-just-moderately-rich people! Should have had a gyroscopic stabilizer installed, as well as making sure your house-servants all wear terrycloth jumpers just in case they have to throw themselves onto any splashes to ensure it doesn’t make it to the fine rugs!

2 Likes

Same reason they put pools on cruise ships?

Feeling a bit cheated that we didn’t see water pouring down through the ceiling from the swimming pool on the next floor.

3 Likes

I’m generally in favour of people videoing in vertical mode if they feel it suits the subject matter, and don’t hold with folk who insist horizontal is the only way; but this is a prime example of a subject that needs the horizontal format. The pool is wider than it is tall, so turn the camera around, dummy!

3 Likes

Hey, a carbon sink! Only 40GTC/year to go.

4 Likes

As a landlord who has dealt several times with water running down through 4 floors, that makes me queasy!

3 Likes

I always assumed putting a hot tub in a limo would be a terrible idea in practice for similar reasons.

25 Likes

In all fairness, in-ground pools can slosh around pretty impressively as well:

12 Likes

You live in a area where earthquakes are more common than moderately high winds?

BATHROOMS FOR EVERYONE!!!

4 Likes

Your story reminds me of the (apocryphal?) story I heard once that Russian soldiers overrunning Germany in WWII thought that indoor toilets were potato washing devices.

Actually, a bidet would probably make a better potato washing device. :grinning:

6 Likes

With pools in skyscrapers, what can go wrong?

5 Likes

Speaking from 10 years of personal, 1st-hand experience: pools are bad news all around, no matter where they are.

6 Likes

Hey Komrade, what happened to my potato???

1 Like

I was thinking of posting a reference to 2010 but didn’t think anyone would know the ref. Very cool …

8 Likes