Swiss gruyere named world’s best cheese at global competition

It works much like breed standards in animal competitions. In the first round the cheeses are judged against their category standards with points being deducted from an initial score of 100 for any defects noted by judges. The gold medal winners in each category are then basically put into a best in show competition where the highest average score among the judges wins

1 Like

Aw yeah, Gruyere. I´m more of a blue cheese guy, but Gruyere kicks ass.

1 Like

Our local Whole Foods has a pretty good array of cheese, including vegan options. I can get my Humboldt Fog fix, although I don’t very often. We used to have a small neighborhood cheese shoppe called ‘Who Cut the Cheese’, but it was a little TOO specialized, despite having a lovely selection, and folded after a year.

1 Like

Indeed. We found all the Biden voters.

“Truttmann and Christian Schmutz, who were contest judges…”

Schmutz. Sounds like the Yiddish word for dirt… slime… filth. Interesting name for a cheese judge.

From your link:

Casu marzu is considered by Sardinian aficionados to be unsafe to eat when the maggots in the cheese have died. Because of this, only cheese in which the maggots are still alive is usually eaten, although allowances are made for cheese that has been refrigerated, which can kill the maggots.

Oh, well! Then that’s A-Okay, then!!

3 Likes

Well, of course! How else are you expected to make a good Mornay sauce??

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.