Swiss gruyere named world’s best cheese at global competition

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/06/swiss-gruyere-named-worlds.html

5 Likes

So, this gruyere was better than any Camembert or Stilton? How do you even judge something like that?

6 Likes

On the one hand, these types of competitions are always awards for pleasing the subjective tastes of the judges. On the other hand, where can I sign up to be on the judging panel? :yum:

Wallace & Gromit - Eating Cheese on the Moon

22 Likes

Everyone will have their opinion on this I am sure…I like gruyere just fine, but nothing is better than Harman’s aged cheddar. I am fully prepared to die on that Sugar Hill.

https://harmanscheese.com/shop/

5 Likes

I would drown myself in a triple creamed soft cheese if given the opportunity.

ETA: and would OD on almost any cheese, even a fine gruyere.

8 Likes

I feel like I’m watching Best In Show… in a good way

4 Likes

It does seem weird that a gruyere could win. Not quite like a Marvel movie winning Best Picture, but kind of like that.

I could absolutely see it being someone’s favorite though. I would totally go for a slab of mozzarella with oil on a nice bit of bread over a high-end blue cheese with loads going on flavor-wise.

'Course, the fact that I’m currently not supposed to eat anything with fat in it may be influencing my thinking.

3 Likes

12 Likes

Hard to beat a good Swiss Battle Cheese.

2 Likes

Much less something really fancy.

Casu Marzu

7 Likes
1 Like

6 Likes

My wife wants to watch all the Oscar nominees.

Personally I can’t be arsed about most movies, but this is the kind of thing where I’d like to spend a lot of time testing and enjoying the winners and runner-ups.

The Swiss won again? I’m getting sick of those guys.

3 Likes

cheese

8 Likes
4 Likes

How dare you ?

The cheese pictured in the thumbnail and featured in the video is not gruyère, it is emmenthaler. Real gruyère is from, well, Gruyères, Fribourg, not Bern, and has no holes.

4 Likes

9 Likes

Work had me going to Madison on a semi-regular basis. Every trip, I would visit a cheese shop on the capitol square called “Fromagination” and load up on cheese (which travels quite well). Even getting small sample sizes of cheese, I never got out for less than $100. All worth every cent. It is one of my favorite stores in the entire world.

3 Likes

Have you ever had a really good gruyere or Comte? Very nutty with loads of umami. Nothing like the cheap grocery store “Swiss cheese” .

2 Likes