Sword-wielding robber finds that store clerk also has sword

Currently at work so i’ll get back to you on that. Not keen on searching swords while on the network lol. But the majority of muslims do carry the kirpan because as mentioned by someone else it is a religious requirement. As far as other swords go i’ve seen them pop up often enough to assume people keep them handy for when shit goes down, but if i can provide some basis fo rthe assumption i would be happy to do so :slight_smile: i can check later in the afternoon. Still it wouldn’t be too different from latin american countries having people keeping sharp machetes handy because… why wouldn’t you.

2 Likes

Isn’t that Sikhs?

11 Likes

Eh?

Muslim ≠ Sikh.

9 Likes

No offense, but you’re a little confused :slight_smile:. It’s super uncommon for Arabs to carry khanjars (kirpans are what Sikhs carry). They do tend to be either wall hangers or functionally equivalent to a fashion accessory in places like Yemen (where I happened to be born, although I’m not Yemeni.) But I’ve never heard of one being drawn in anger except as a Crazy Story ™. It’s supposed to be super guache to actually draw it from the sheath in public. But honestly it’s mostly old-timers and rural people who wear them anymore, and the ocassional person who got dressed up for a wedding or something.

16 Likes

Well, also, don’t imagine that a machete has to be sharp to kill you. Take all the force that a person can swing their arm with, add a weight to the long tend, and then concentrate it on a relatively thin point and that’ll do plenty. Candlesticks aren’t known for being sharp either but they did the job for Colonel Mustard.

33 Likes

There can be only one.

12 Likes

My mistake :slight_smile: thanks for the correction

8 Likes

He should have gone to Souplamentation.

2 Likes

I thought that was for the 2nd Amendment altars?

3 Likes

Re: “that’s not a knife; this is a knife”…

In truth, it’s “that’s not a knife; that’s a knife”.

(Right up there with “play it again, Sam” and “Luke, I am your father”.)

7 Likes

30 comments and no, “The only thing to stop a bad guy with a sword, is a good guy with a sword”?

11 Likes

How come nobody acts when someone’s corrected on the internet?

12 Likes

Because they’re asleep. Finally, we can all sleeeeeep!

6 Likes

JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA

Oh, that Lochte! He’s such a card!

4 Likes

Is it? How would you know your own will from God’s?

2 Likes

I thought they were more like a dagger, but they’re also in Oman:

4 Likes

Yep. I think I glossed over the part where the OP was discussing swords. But you’re right, they’re curved daggers. And really the Gulf countries in general tend to have them as a living tradition. So, Kuwait, Oman, Yemen, KSA, etc. They vary in degree a lot though. You almost never see them worn as daily attire in the UAE, for instance, even though a lot of Emiratis have Yemeni roots.

4 Likes

Is that actually a scimitar, though? I thought what he had was variously called a scimitar or a cutlass, but a search for scimitar mainly serves up more simple, curved swords, not this big-ended, notched blade as shown in this video (or Popeye cartoons). If there’s another name for this besides “scimitar,” though, I can’t find it.

Here’s what Wikipedia refers to as a scimitar:

7 Likes

So I used to fence and it inspired in me a fascination with medieval weapons. I’m far from an expert, but I’m fairly certain that version of the scimitar never existed. There were a lot of similar swords, but they never had such exaggerated proportions even when they closely resembled it. If you pick up Richard F. Burton’s (a well known Orientalist) Book of the Sword you won’t find it. These swords were made for closer quarter combat than European fencing styles, and the curve was designed to facilitate that. The modern cavalry saber is a decendent of what Europeans would have called a scimitar, and it reflects the proprtions of the swords that inspired it. It’s really obvious that the the man in the video had an ornamental wall hanger. You could practically see how cheap it was. Not that you couldn’t cut someone with it. Real functional swords range in the hundreds to the thousands though.

10 Likes

That’s a tulwar, actually.

Edit: Given the hilt, it’s the Afghani version, which is called a pulwar. Blade is the same as a tulwar.

13 Likes