T-Mobile receives thousands of complaints after reneging on "lifetime price lock" deal

Originally published at: T-Mobile reneging on "lifetime price lock" deal for seniors

7 Likes

I wonder how many of the senior citizens rightfully complaining about this sleaze are also planning on voting for the candidate who’s promising to gut consumer protection agencies or staff them with corporate cronies.

19 Likes

I’m not going to say that the Venn diagram is just a circle, but…you might have to zoom in a bit to see where they don’t overlap.

I had the misfortune of hearing a bit on NPR this morning that was interviewing the mayor of Allentown, who is Latino himself and has a large base of Latino constituents. Several people said they would vote for Trump even though he constantly slanders people who look like them and would try to deport them even if they’re actually citizens, and one woman, God bless her, said that she didn’t think “America is ready for a female president.” Another one said that he was turned off by the “rhetoric” about Trump being a convicted felon because he was also a convicted felon, so…it was aspirational, I guess? And a couple of those rare and mysterious people who are still somehow undecided.

(It was doubly torturous because they punished both the mayor and the rest of us with Billy Joel’s “Allentown,” which I maintain was never a good song, beyond the fact of how dated it is now.)

8 Likes

Well they didn’t say whose lifetime…

4 Likes

I wouldn’t go that far, but if at least 50% of those complaining are effectively voting for a re-run of this arsehole it’s still a ridiculously high percentage.

8 Likes

That’s a fair point. I admit that my mind immediately went to “elderly people hate the same people Trump hates,” but they’re not a monolith. Shame on me.

3 Likes

Of all the people to reneg on. 55+ has to be the lowest use category, so providing service isn’t draining anything too much. You’re still making money on them. Now you get greedy tacking on a few bucks more in fees?

Fuck them. I hope they get fined and made to pay back the extra fees and honor the price.

PS - If you want cheap phone rates, try Mint Mobile. It costs more up front and you have to finance your own phone plan if you can’t buy one out right, but my yearly rate was about what I paid in 3 months with ATT (IIRC - maybe 4… I am saving a lot).

3 Likes

This is weird I mean I’ve had t-mobile for almost 25 years and they never raised the price on me once. I paid0 30 bucks a month. I’ve always been waiting for a price increase but recently found a cheaper plan for 25 dollars a month.

I have been kind of in awe that cell/internet service prices have actually stayed the same or gone down while the service is arguably better of the last few decades.

1 Like

As a current T-Mobile customer, they’re absolutely an obnoxious corporation to deal with. The people in the store basically aren’t empowered to do anything, and their phone support is awful. Hearing “your estimated wait time is 6 minutes” for about 45 minutes, offshore call centers who fail to provide promised followup on many occasions… they rank right above the Trump Corporation in my book.

3 Likes

i had been a customer of Sprint for over 20 years when TMobile took over in the merger. at that point, i added mum to the plan and we opted for their 55+ lifetime rate. our rate went down significantly by combining on one plan, but i will be vigilant when paying the bill in the next several cycles with this fraudulent increase in mind.
it was bad enough when TMobile raised us $10us per month because i refuse to let them directly take from my bank account. instead i autopay on the credit card and that gives them a sad, they have to pay the fees, so they pass that on to me. but with data breaches happening - and TMobile has had a few - i don’t want that information accessible to hackers and bad actors. i can get a compromised credit card rectified. they wipe out my bank account, i’m toast!

6 Likes

Hey, I’m in my 60s and I know other over-55s. None (zero) of us are going to vote for the felon. Maybe you need to pick where you zoom in.

5 Likes

While all of my sisters in law are happy Mexico has a woman President (not the one they wanted), they all acknowledge one of the main reasons that is is because it was basically two women running against each other. The man running was basically the Jill Stein equivalent, with RFK Jr timing.

1 Like

I’ve been with T-mobile for 20 years. I went on the senior plan when I was old enough. The rate went from $60 for two lines to $80 for two lines, and that’s an increase of more than $5 a line. I’ll be shopping around for another carrier.

And I have never, and will never, ever vote for Trump.

3 Likes

Sounds a lot like the stunt Rogers Video just pulled here in Canada - in spite of having signed contracts indicating rates would not increase for a fixed period, users have suddenly been hit with a price increase of $6 per month per receiver box. The allowing of that little gem is buried in the fine print of the contract.

1 Like