Table made of a floating matrix of wooden blocks with embedded magnets

Physics geek pedanticism: Even a single magnet is a dipole (no magnetic monopoles, remember) so the field drops off as inverse cube. Two magnets facing each other is a quadrupole, so inverse 4th power. And so on.

tl;dr: field drops off really fast.

2 Likes

Okay, so there we go: you need a stonkingly powerful magnet to fry a HDD.

I should go out and trademark “Levitable”…

1 Like

I dont have such a big magnet, or a spare mobile to test, but I would love to see a video of a test :smile:

It’s not strictly levitation - you can’t do that with permanent magnets, unless you use whacky diamagnetic materials like pyrolitic carbon or dutch frogs. It’s really a table made from a tensile structure of wires, tensioned with magnetic repulsion. An obscure sort of tensegrity structure.

If you wanted a no-field version of this, either shield the magnets (not that hard to do, on this scale and this budget) or just replace the magnets with discreet springs. They wouldn’t look much more obvious than the current wires.

2 Likes

Rock paper bottom takes on a whole new meaning

I think he’d have to have, since the steel cables are mentioned in his pull quote, and “magnetized” is in quotes in his blurb, with a subtle, but detectable nod to the tension / megnet relationship. Unless this edit came later, I think this is some hot, steamy kettle and pot action.

“Table made of a floating matrix of wooden blocks with embedded magnets”

“The Float Table uses a 3D matrix of wooden blocks with embedded strong magnets”

“embedded strong magnets”

no

Blockquote 3D matrix of wooden blocks with embedded strong magnets, tethered to one another

Blockquote …The repelling cubes are held in equilibrium by a system of tensile steel cables.

yes. read beyooooond the title

This is weird, you’re posting a bunch of stuff that in no way invalidates my point.

The point is not that it does use cables, but that it does not use magnets. I was just taking a dig at Cory apparently glancing over the thing and going OH COOL, MAGNETS and posting it with an incorrect description. Not sure why you’re overanalysing it and trying to twist things into my somehow having been wrong or hypocritical when I’m not at all, but I guess you like arguing with random internet people and so do I so that’s cool.

Um, I’m pretty sure there are magnets in that table. The cables are to keep the blocks from flying apart due to the magnetic repulsion. I don’t think those big wooden blocks are standing on those thing metal wires.

Oh cool I was wrong http://instagram.com/p/cb2inpnUQz/?igref=ogexp

Not at all, my idea that they were not actually magnetic came from reading all of what little information I found on the site and tricking my brain by taking unnecessary quotation marks literally and being emotionally put off the idea of it actually being magnetic by other posters’ nonsensical concern trolling about it wiping devices that wouldn’t even be affected by magnetism.

Further research reveals that it does in fact incorporate actual magnets!
(photo of the construction process here http://instagram.com/p/cb2inpnUQz/) So I was literally wrong about that, but was not really doing the same thing I incorrectly (in this particular instance tho not in general) criticised Cory for.

It’s been fun. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It funny, though I was genuinely defending Cory here, but about a month ago, I jumped to make a sarcastic comment about the unnecessary inclusion of “3D printed” in the description of a product. The fact that parts of the product had been 3D printed was totally immaterial to the end product, and it really rubbed me the wrong way. We may well be as similar as you suspected… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s a thought - transparent blocks filled with water/ferrofluid.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.