Table made of a floating matrix of wooden blocks with embedded magnets

[Permalink]

I bet itā€™s fun when you walk near it and your pocketknife (and pants) are pulled into one of the gaps. Also fun to discover that your credit cards donā€™t work afterward.

1 Like

The tables are acclaimed for their capricious, yet sturdy
disposition.

Iā€™m just not ready to look for particular attitudes from my furniture. Iā€™m happy enough to find a few quarters amongst the cushions.

3 Likes

This needs to be painted in Rubikā€™s cube colors, stat!

4 Likes

Not to mention your cell phone and laptop.

Table made of, ā€œoh great, more stupid toys for rich peopleā€.

2 Likes

In a different configuration that could make for strangely comfy seating.

I presume one should keep oneā€™s hard drive away from this thingā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m imagining a similar piece by way of a retort and comment on our decadenceā€¦

Itā€™s basically exactly the same thing except with a power cord and electromagnets instead.

Hey, itā€™d be fun to run those magnets on ACā€¦

Actually, IIRC the inverse square law of radiation means you need a seriously huge field to wipe a HDD; the distance between the platter/s and the outside of the drive is enough to negate the effect of any neodymium magnet thatā€™s not too big to safely play withā€¦

ā€¦I think - thatā€™s just off the top of my head, so you might want to check that before testing on a real HDD.

Please advise just what in a cell phone is damaged by magnets. Seeing as my phone detects a car dock by placing it against one. A laptop, maybe, but it would have to be a damn strong one.

Compromising the beauty of an object by having to present it as a functional device is a real shame. So it doesnā€™t make a good table for your electronic device, so what, itā€™s a beautiful object on itā€™s own. Functionality is over-rated.

4 Likes

I donā€™t care that itā€™d spill my drinks - this thing is awesome!

3 Likes

I canā€™t be the only one who thinks the logo at the end looks like two people getting it on

Itā€™s not magnetized, itā€™s ā€œmagnetizedā€. Itā€™s an arrangement of fine steel cables that arenā€™t visible in the video but very aparent in the photos, if you know what you are looking for.

First hint: Magnets just donā€™t work that way.

(at least with non-superconducting materials)

2 Likes

but think of the fun you can have by cutting them with your ceramic knife.

Bet you the owner will spend at least three hours trying to re-balance the cubes.

Disappointing lack of ICP-related comments ITT

Or even if you donā€™t.

Sometimes wonder if Cory even reads the pages he links or whether itā€™s enough to simply have MAGNETS! 3D PRINTING! somewhere in the first paragraph and up it goes.

1 Like

yeah iā€™ll avoid putting my 5 1ā„4" floppy disks on it thanks for the warning

2 Likes