Taika Waititi to adapt The Incal for the screen

Yeah it was “announced” in 2019 and dropped soon after due to similarity to… other, later things. Attempts to pin down exactly who said what where ended up in circularity though. But I’m pretty sure it’s not active right now.

3 Likes

I’ve never been so excited about an adaptation of content I like. Usually there’s a sense of dread about how badly they’ll mess it up [GitS anyone?], but this sounds great.

2 Likes

There’s actually 3 or 4 in the series:

Before Incal.
The Incal.
Final Incal.

and some sort of companion book I don’t have.

3 Likes

Holy crap, I nearly had a coronary last night when I read this news.

Back in '97 when Fifth Element came out, I had thought it was the Jodo/Moebius Incal aesthetic onscreen, and loved it mainly for that. Now we’re going to get an actual adaptation of probably my favorite graphic story?! And written/directed by the guy who made the one Thor movie worth watching? Shut up and take ALL of my moneys!!

Now, if someone worthy would make about ten seasons of a Love & Rockets adaptation, I’d really plotz!

4 Likes

I’m thinking/hoping that a proper adaptation is going to take at least 2-3 films, so in that case I’d imagine some of the other books might be piped in.

I can’t imagine this as just a 2-hour adaptation.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I am really curious how they will adapt it. I mean, by the standards of Hollywood comic book movies the comic is a bit on the weird side.

1 Like

More weird or less weird than The Fifth Element?

3 Likes

Weirder. I’d say toning it down to Fifth Element levels is the best they can hope for. The difficulty I see is that the imagination is a big part of the appeal. Lose too much of it and “down on his luck detective cliché bumbles his way through supernatural space stuff” may not be very compelling anymore. Lose too little and you’ll alienate millions of unprepared viewers.

2 Likes

A fan made a trailer.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.