Taika Waititi to adapt The Incal for the screen

Originally published at: Taika Waititi to adapt The Incal for the screen | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Oh My God Reaction GIF

20 Likes

You had me at Space Opera.

10 Likes

What’s next The Adventures of Luther Arkwright?

7 Likes

Concrete or Roxomill.

5 Likes

Hmmm… The attraction of the Incal for me was Jean Giraud’s artwork. Alejandro Jodorowsky’s writing leaves me cold.

Concrete could be fun, if the film matched the laid-back, humane tone of the comic. I would love to see a version of Fil Barlow’s Zooniverse.

8 Likes

This is a good outcome, then. Giraud provides the design inspiration, Jodorowsky effectively does the art direction and world-building, and Waititi does the story work and character direction. It’s worth seeing what emerges when everyone on the team is playing to their strengths.

14 Likes

Good point :heart_eyes::+1:

9 Likes

I have been meaning to read this book.

7 Likes

Yes yes yes yes! It’s such a bonkers book. I don’t think the story is particularly gripping in its current form though. Taika is an incredible storyteller, so using the Incal as a framework and running with it sounds amazing.

6 Likes

I love Waititi, but can’t stand Jodorowsky. I’m really curious how this will turn out. Maybe I’ll finally be able to enjoy The Incal.

3 Likes

I just wish they would print more Moebius books. Most are nearly impossible to find. If this movie can push a reprint of the rest of the catalogue, it will have all been worth it.

11 Likes

Shut up and take my shut money take up

I am totally on board with this. The Incal is one of my favorite books. I wonder if they’ll pull from the sequels?

8 Likes
3 Likes

Wait, they’re going to make a movie about incels? Oh, never mind.

4 Likes

Ok cool so I can just say stuff and it happens?

Can I see and hear or have the following things:

1. The top jackpot of Eurojackpot.

2. The Laundry Files movie or series

3. Elric of Melniboné movie or series

4. Animated Altan’s Ada movie with Altan’s style (and yes I do know about Ada dans la jungle (1988))

1. Live action movie of The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers: The Idiots Abroad

And the rest of The KLF’s Samplecity Thru Trancentral.

4 Likes

[Hobbles into peranimated frame with knees cowed and iPencil v1 in hand] But they come true on Color ePaper with only Bluetooth Audio connections at [checks pulse] midmarket price [zoom-in crash at an eyesocket]!

6 Likes

The attraction of the Incal for me was Jean Giraud’s artwork. Alejandro Jodorowsky’s writing leaves me cold

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve got all the Incal books because I love Moebius, but I’ve never found them at all readable.

I’m surprised to hear Taika Waititi is a fan - damned if I can see what he’s a fan of. Still think there’s a good chance of an excellent movie though - Jeff Goldblum’s court in Thor Ragnarok is like a dry run of what Incal could be.

5 Likes

You’ve got the Power!

3 Likes

I’ve been asking the wind for an Elric show since Game of Thrones ended. Apparently It’s been shopped around but rejected for being too similar to The Witcher smh

5 Likes