Taika Waititi's directing Thor 4!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/18/taika-waititis-directing-tho.html

6 Likes

If I had to guess, i’m thinking Warner is putting off the Akira live action until after their Attack On Titan adaptation(s) would come out. Even if Taika did a great job with the film, it could’ve created some financial risk for other anime adaptations in Hollywood including their own in house productions if it tanked at the box office.

Plus Akira is getting a new series so it’ll give the creators over there more breathing space to work with without the spectre of a live action. Puting it off is a win for all parties.

1 Like

Akira as a property never seemed to really fit Taika Waititi’s strengths as a director/writer; I can guarantee there wouldn’t be much room for dry Kiwi humor or wacky improv. I’d much rather see him in his own sandbox, either with Thor 4 or Jojo Rabbit.

5 Likes

I know many folks give Waititi near single handed credit for saving the Thor film franchise and all…but let’s be clear that the writers were also instrumental. One of the biggest issues with both Thor 1 and Dark World is they did not pull from good comic story lines to develop those scripts. Ragnarok took heavily from Planet Hulk and Ragnarok story lines and Waititi’s style and directing chops helped coalesce those well visually on screen.

I am hoping we get the Eternals Saga which would be a great tie in/lead in I suspect with whatever they do for Guardians 3 and the Eternals films.

6 Likes

If they ever opted for a live action Samurai Jack…Waititi would be PERFECT for that.

11 Likes

Even more important than the storyline was finding the right tone for a Thor movie. The first two were heavy on the Serious Hero Epic angle. Ragnarok ditched that approach for a fun, colorful action-comedy that wasn’t afraid to embrace the comic book goofiness of the premise.

A “Planet Hulk” storyline could have been a broody slog, but by the time Zepplin’s “Immigrant Song” piped up we knew we were in for a treat instead.

10 Likes

As long as he has time to do more What We Do in the Shadows cameos.

10 Likes

Also writing and directing We’re Wolves

4 Likes

…yawn…

1 Like

Please, tell us more of your boredom, o cinephile.

7 Likes

Must be holding out for Eraserhead II.

3 Likes

Ricky Baker: Shit just got real.
Hec: Yeah, shit just got real.

2 Likes

Sweet as! :grin:

Hunt for the Wilderpeople remains a household favourite here too.

5 Likes

On a side note, the first season of What We Do in the Shadows, was hilarious, worth a binge-watch if you missed it and getting a second season.

My highlight, the epic showdown with a ginormous werewolf in an entirely unexpected fashion.

3 Likes

But they are not Swear Wolves!

3 Likes

Basically, I am tired of this onslaught of superhero movies. Admittedly, I can get somewhat excited about something that has Tom Holland in it. I am definitely looking forward to It pt 2 (Bill Hader? Cool!). But, also, no more fucking Star Wars either. The Phantom Menace completely cured me of that series. And get off my lawn!!

1 Like

Oddly, I really need to see the first one :slight_smile: I haven’t even finished watching ‘Rabbits’ yet.

2 Likes

I think of them more as genre movies that happen to have superheros as the stars. I mean, some are flat-out superhero tentpole action films, but then you’ve got WW1 and WW2 action/dramas, Cold War spy films, and bonkers comedy films (like Thor 3). With the caveat that if you don’t care about the characters, you likely won’t get much out of them.

Having actually watched the Star Wars movies past the crappy Phantom Menace, there’s a whole lot of wonderful fun stuff they’ve done that isn’t remotely crappy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s been a few decades since I watched Eraserhead. I liked it but even then it takes some determination to get through it. I haven’t seen Rabbits yet but I will sooner or later.

Didn’t know there was going to be a 4th Thor movie, but I’ll watch the hell out of it with Waititi directing. Ragnarok is my 2nd favorite Marvel flick (Gardians 1 takes the first spot).