Take a look at this gallery of people taking silly photos with statues

Originally published at: Take a look at this gallery of people taking silly photos with statues | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Loved this. Almost as good as a unicorn chaser - this could have been saved for when one was needed.

3 Likes

I used to work part-time as a security guard at a museum. We had a sculpture by Canadian artist Evan Penny of a male nude. The one below gives you an idea of the style. I couldn’t find the work in question online.

Needless to say, people wanted to pose with this sculpture and the results were predictable. The highlight of my brief security career was telling people not to “handle” or “grab” the sculpture. Cupping was the most common pose.

3 Likes

Gallery is not publicly viewable. Apparently you must have an Instagram account to view anything on their website.

2 Likes

I hate Instagram

9 Likes

Same as for you, I’m unable to view it on the instagram website.

But I’m able to view it right in Devin’s blog post on BB, did you try that? (I think that’s what he meant by “You can browse the galle[r]y by clicking the arrow on the right hand side of the picture.” i.e., to let us know that we don’t have to go to the instagram site. Worked for me, anyway.)

9 Likes

The last photo is from Wellington harbour. Woooo! New Zealand Represent!

4 Likes

Yep. @mycroftb Using the main BB site story and then clicking through with the side arrows works for me. Well worth it.

5 Likes

Thank you :pray:t2:

3 Likes

I simply can’t see BB headlines any more without thinking of them as AI photo generator prompts

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out! I need to read more carefully I guess. Still I dislike companies that take their walled gardens and have a veneer of public access while holding that hostage through signins and tracking data.

2 Likes

The Robin Williams photo has been photoshopped.

1 Like

Thanks. That worked in Chrome, I couldn’t get it to work in Firefox so I thought this was an Instagram only post.

1 Like

Ah—I am using Chrome.

The world is full of so many little quirks!

1 Like

still need to sign…

That’s weird. I don’t have an Instagram account and I was able to see the photos on Devin’s original post without signing into Instagram. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

For me it depends how close to the arrow I click, within the picture in Devin’s post. Clicking directly on or right next to the arrow, makes the gallery advance. But if I click a little farther away from the arrow, or anywhere else in the picture, it sends me to the instagram sign-in. Even clicking the dots across the bottom of the picture (as you would if you wanted to advance the gallery) in Devin’s post, sends me to instagram sign-in. The little arrow rules!

2 Likes

You’re right! Of course the statue of Rodin’s The Thinker (one of many that were made) does not extend its arm down to grab Robin Williams’ generously offered TP.

Alt/original version with source

I love art pieces that the public can touch, especially bronze such that the popular bits are shiny golden metal and the rest remains shades of the greeny dark patina.

(Mind’s eye time.)

1 Like
1 Like