Takei to Arizona lawmakers: we will boycott Arizona if it passes its anti-gay Jim Crow law

Gosh, sorry we inconvenienced you with our civil rights and stuff.

I’m pretty sure we can work on both at once, and if you have any evidence that this is going to impact social services spending in any meaningful way, I’d like to see your evidence.

2 Likes

I think this is closer to the “No True Scottsdaleman” fallacy.

7 Likes

Wait, who isn’t already boycotting Arizona over its immigration policies and other horrors who would boycott Arizona over this?

1 Like

You GO, George!

Rindan, I think we ought to start a biz in AZ that refuses to serve straight people due to our religious beliefs. THAT might get their attention!

1 Like

Christ, what a Zonie!

2 Likes

To which of Mr. Takei’s ilks do you refer?

• His yuppiness?
  • His being an entertainment type?
  • His sexual orientation?
  • His Asianness?
  • His fondness for extremely localized climate modification?
  • His not being born in Arizona?
  • His failure to be a desert dweller who does not depend upon outside sources of monetary income?

Ilk is a big word, maybe you could trim down the meaning a bit.

9 Likes

Interestingly as all this controversy has unfolded three members of the Arizona legislature who voted for the bill have now turned against it. Presumably someone will give state Senators Bob Worsley, Adam Driggs, and Mike Pierce access to a time machine so they can go back and cast their opposing votes when it would have made a difference.

4 Likes

Do you honestly think your state has been getting by all this time without getting any business from LGBT people or their supporters? Talk about naive.

3 Likes

@Jewels_Vern, do you support this new law? You haven’t said so directly.”

I have not said any of the things I am accused of. I only objected to people trying to force political actions outside their jurisdiction, and temporary residents who go along with such shenanigans. (60% of people who move to Arizona move someplace else within two years.)

The nerve of some people, having a strong opinion about civil rights in states where they don’t even live.

10 Likes

And yet you reply to a message in which you’re not accused of anything, but rather one in which you’re asked if you agree with the law. I don’t know why you’re so reluctant to take a stand one way or the other, given your strong opinion in favor of Arizona seceding from the United States.

4 Likes

5 Likes

There are some AZ legislators you could start with. :wink:

I would too.

7 Likes

Can’t imagine why. It’s a complete mystery.

edit: Jewels, do you support the legislation being discussed?

5 Likes

Another Tucson resident here. I’ve been here for twenty-odd years (or more than twenty odd years, however you choose to look at it) but I’m not sure whether I qualify for really living here or just pretending–is duration enough, or do I have to fall in line with the attitudes of the real residents?

I’m also another opposed to the law and you can also put me down as another fan of Rocco’s–it’s long been one of my favorite places to eat, and I do appreciate their current sentiment. A friend of mine went out of his way to eat there the other day, and reported the booming business they seemed to be doing.

3 Likes

Gosh, sorry we inconvenienced you with our civil rights and stuff.

no, you really obviously are not. and i assume your question is equally loaded as your greeting.

bless your heart.

i havent accused you of anything. perhaps you could answer my question and not complain to me about how rude other people have been to you?

Or, maybe you’re one of those types that lumps individuals into groups for poor treatment at the drop of a hat, because pretext? i dont know. i am asking.

2 Likes

Your crazy demands for some degree of politesse are infringing on my right to be an asshole.

2 Likes