Takei to Arizona lawmakers: we will boycott Arizona if it passes its anti-gay Jim Crow law

@Jewels_Vern, do you support this new law? You haven’t said so directly.

1 Like

I live a mile down the street from Rocco’s. One of my neighbors is a state legislator who would never, ever vote for such a law. Central Tucson is a liberal part of Arizona, like Austin is a liberal part of Texas.

So please, when you talk about “Arizona”, remember that you are dissing a lot of progressives with your broad brush.

2 Likes

Who’s this “we”, Kemosabe? You don’t look all that Native to me.

7 Likes

Maybe the person is a recent convert?

Who are you to say what connections his religious beliefs have to have? Maybe his religious belief that he cannot do dealings with moneylenders is incredibly strong, but he has no belief that any prior business he had with moneylenders is tainted and should be abandoned.

I mean, there are plenty of people who reconcile Capitalism and Christianity, and they’re pretty much just as much at odds as “I can’t do business with moneylenders” and “I can keep this house I got from them though.” :smile:

Well, technically speaking, a much smaller number than most states.

The important thing about being a minority in a state like this is remembering that the majority in your state really are shitty, and so the majority of your state’s impact on other people is really shitty. It’s always hard to say, “My state sucks”, but it’s true, and I try not to get too defensive about it.

But I think it is true that most people don’t know about Tucson the way that they probably have heard of Austin.

1 Like

Congratulations Arizona! Your compassion and decency is now only rivaled by Uganda.

10 Likes

It’s what they think they want… but there was also a time when the people who ran the public transit system in Montgomery, Alabama thought they didn’t want the business of any dark-skinned person who didn’t know their place.

4 Likes

I have a much better idea! Pressure Google to abandon their (stupid) plan to bring fiber to Phoenix…and build it in Tucson instead!

3 Likes

Someone like Takei can easily, easily cost Phoenix or Tempe or wherever a convention, or many conventions. That’s at minimum a half-million per hit & a big convention goes into the hundreds of millions of revenue for municipalities.

Some people/companies might be willing to ignore it Sochi-style if the legislation doesn’t get big press or is not unheard of elsewhere (like the frequent backnforth on LGBT marriage in many states) but if it gets big attention and/or is downright f-ed up so wrong that the Fed will be forced to put it straight eventually, then Arizona muni’s & thus state coffers will be seriously injured.

5 Likes

But Tucson is also in AZ?

1 Like

I spent a couple of months working in the Tucson area a few years ago. I really liked it, AZ is a beautiful state and Tucson is a fun town (I was staying in Oro Valley, which just seemed to be old people, golf courses and police, but downtown was nice).

Seriously, though, fuck Arizona until this sort of bullshit stops and ass clowns like Arpaio end up in prison.

3 Likes

I would assume that the argument would be that you have to settle any previous dealings, since the opposition to moneylending is obviously a new thing.

You could always change to an Islamic mortgage.

http://www.thetruthaboutmortgage.com/islamic-mortgage/

1 Like

That’s pretty much Oro Valley in a nutshell.

This is great new for my church. We have some “sincerely held” religious beliefs regarding human sacrifice that we’ll finally get to put into practice. Hooray for freedom!

9 Likes

It’s certainly what they think they want.

I am convinced this whole thing is just another exercise in getting well meaning progressives distracted from the man in the very shiny shoes, behind the curtain.

The defeat of this unconstitutional law will come at taxpayer expense, with money that won’t be available to help the poor, a fact about which I imagine republicans are very self-satisfied.

2 Likes

He definitely doesn’t want a hug. He may catch teh gay from you since you’ve been in contact with LGBT folks (you do know it works like being a zombie right?). (also, sarcasm.)

1 Like

True, but unfortunately when state legislatures pass unsavory laws like this one, you progressives get lumped in with all the bigots. It’s somewhat meaningless to say “I’m going to boycott Az… except Tuscon” as then the $ spent in az just gets shifted around, not halted, and the legislature can say “see, the boycott didn’t cost AZ much at all!”.

Your legislature is by default lumping you in with everyone else.

2 Likes

Aww Jewels, why not at least harden up to a standard you doubtless admire? At least Reagan said it straight, which is far more than you would do. Course, he had to pretend to see things differently in public to achieve the higher office, maybe you would measure up huh?

“If an individual wants to discriminate against Negroes or others in selling or renting his house, it is his right to do so." - Ronald Reagan

5 Likes