Talking Heads play "Psycho Killer" in killer 1978 TV appearance

Originally published at: Talking Heads play "Psycho Killer" in killer 1978 TV appearance | Boing Boing

Every time I hear this great song I can’t help thinking of this Dr. Dementia parody.

4 Likes

My 14-year-old just used that song for the projected face effect that he set up for Halloween this year:

8 Likes

My only complaint about this performance is that the instrumental outro is too short. Tina Weymouth just killing it on the bass.

4 Likes

The sound quality on my laptop was not good. I’ve seen this clip on the BBC on TV and IIRC t was fine (at least I don’t recall it being like this and by and large OGWT did not do bad sound quality!). So I’m not sure what happened here.

ETA I’ve checked a few other online versions and they are all the same. The vocals just sound muddy/fuzzy. Maybe there was a sound problem.

every time I listen to Talking Heads I am mesmerised by Tina’s bass line.

1 Like

Yep. Locks me in.

It blew me away as a teenager when I picked apart “Once in a Lifetime” and found that the bass line uses only two notes (F# and A), in the same beat pattern, all the way through. Verse, chorus, bridge, everything - exactly the same note / beat pattern, and it’s audaciously simple, and it fits perfectly. It’s like she threw away every unnecessary note and what’s left is perfect.

A A

A A F# F#

Repeat.

e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QWf99zrhXI

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.