Talking over The Cure's best songs

It’s a great song, but I’d say it’s pretty overplayed… They have such a vast body of work, that there are plenty of other songs that deserve the praise but rarely get it…

Yeah, that’s a great one, too…

And then there was the time that he hid in Siouxsie and the Banshees for a while, thinking none of us would notice…

And then that side project with Steve Severin…

4 Likes

Of the two of the Banshees’ Johns replaced by Robert, I don’t know about what happened between them and McKay, but there’s a line about the reason in McGeoch’s obituary.

After being asked to join the Banshees, McGeoch featured on, arguably, their most enduring albums, Kaleidoscope (1980), JuJu (1981) and A Kiss In The Dreamhouse (1982). The hit singles of the period - particularly 1980s Happy House and Israel - featured some of McGeoch’s most spellbinding work, hypnotic circular rhythms conjured from icy guitar notes and echo. However, eventually the stresses of touring and drinking led to a nervous breakdown, and McGeoch found himself in hospital and out of the band.

From the notes included with the Blue Sunshine reissue, credited to Johnny Black and printed on a background which is difficult to read punctuation on, it seemed sabotaged.

“We had first talked seriously about doing something together in late 1980 when Robert was working on Faith,” remembers Severin. … “When it finally happened it seemed to the outside world like the other half of the Banshees’ side-projects, even though we’d planned it long before The Creatures stuff.”

…Severin and Smith suddenly had their rainbow-hued feathers ruffled by Chris Parry, head of The Cure’s label Fiction Records, who reminded the pair that Fiction’s contract with Smith specifically precluded him on singing on anything except Cure records.

Parry’s concern was that Smith had been taking too much time out from The Cure. He had already toured twice as the Banshees guitarist and, reasoned Parry, if he enjoyed doing The Glove, he might abandon The Cure altogether. Parry’s fears were far from unfounded because Smith had been somewhat dissatisfied with The Cure ever since the acrimonious departure of bassist Simon Gallup nine months earlier.

Robert Smith’s vocal demos were on the reissue.

2 Likes

Um… thanks. Twas a joke…

1 Like

A lot of my friends were really into the Cure, but there was only ever one song I really liked:

(all about the flanged bass, I guess)

2 Likes

Well, if you can only find your way to liking one cure song, that’s a good one… But maybe recheck their catalog and find out if you’ve changed your mind since then.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.