Talking with your hands directly influences what others hear

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/27/talking-with-your-hands-directly-influences-what-others-hear.html

3 Likes

I’m talking with my hands, RIGHT NOW! Ha ha ha ha…

9 Likes

As the old joke goes…

Q: What do you call a broken arm for an Italian person?
A: A speech impediment.

6 Likes

I do a lot of video/phone call presentations and I talk with my hands a lot.

It’s only anecdotal but I do get the sense that people are more engaged when I do this even though they can’t see me.

1 Like

I’m sure it does… :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

Same. I’m a very animated talker, not just hands, but facial expressions as well. Without video I find the calls don’t always have the same level of engagement, although I’m sure it’s just in my head. Even when I don’t have video turned on my hands are always flailing wildly around while I talk. I feel silly, but I can’t stop myself :smiley:

1 Like

How to explain trump’s air accordion? I’ve actually tried doing it just to see what it feels like. It feels really stupid.

1 Like
2 Likes

It’s rude to talk with your hands full.

2 Likes

That’s why I use my feet too.

3 Likes

I find when the talk or speech is not very interesting I tend to concentrate on the hand movements which I find “very” interesting. I always wonder what the gestures mean. Why are they doing this or that with their hands.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.