Tall buildings with their lying spires removed

Typical of the architectural world to allow decorative spires that serve no function, but disallow functional antennae as part of the height of a building.

I would also point out that “tallest building” is a new money game. Gauche!

3 Likes

I don’t feel bad for that guy. He knew the risks of being thrown out of a skyscraper by a flying winged angry kielbasa when he joined the force.

3 Likes

Architects like their buildings tall; it’s all they aspire to.

22 posts and no version of this?

17 Likes
5 Likes

Older than that:

Lincoln Cathedral’s wooden spire increased its height from 83 m to 160 m, making it the tallest building in the world and the first building taller than the Great Pyramid. The spire blew down in a storm in 1548.

9 Likes

9 Likes

To me there are two choices. The top level used as offices or whatever, or the top spot where there actually are observation deck type tourists, even if that space is not used for anything else.

1 Like

If the Chrysler Building is a lie, then it is at least a beautiful lie. And I prefer this to the ugly truth of some other buildings.

15 Likes

That’s the most tense story about otherwise-boring-to-me architecture I have ever read.

1 Like
6 Likes

Misread that as Manatee, pleased it still works.

17 Likes

14 Likes

I hope they make sure the windows don’t create a “death ray” situation:

13 Likes

It’s a secret defence against invading Roman ships.

8 Likes

Keeping with the blimp conversation from above…

17 Likes

3oijet

14 Likes

I can’t put enough :rofl:s here. Thank you!

2 Likes

I’m the tallest person at my work… well, I’m only 6ft, but I have a spire that goes up to 6’7".

I think it should be the height of the highest daily contiguously-occupied floor (some of the towers have an observation deck, or a prestige floor above 7 floors of elevator machinery).

1 Like

7 Likes

Unless the CTBUH clearly stipulates human habitation, installation of hamster cages on the tops of spires won’t stop!

4 Likes