Tasmanian tiger: thought to be extinct yet sighted two months ago

Well, you may not be extinct, right now

5 Likes

Part of that great wave of Australian films in the 80’s that made life so much more interesting.

1 Like

You would think… well, I would anyway, that, in this age of cell phones with multi-mega-pixel cameras, it wouldn’t be too hard to get a good picture if they are really out there. I have finally gotten my son to give up on bigfoot with this logic.

1 Like

The northern regions of Ontario and Quebec are gee, thousands of square kilometers of pretty much unexplored forest (it’s huge; it would encompass quite a number of U.Sian states), so it’s not out the realm of possibility that some eastern cougars have survived; humans are few and far between, unlike most parts of the U. S.

3 Likes

Not entirely sure that there ain’t a few Hawai’ians who wouldn’t have an issue with that phrasing.:thinking:

2 Likes

I thought that was the Scorpions?

3 Likes

There are some western mountain lions willing to be eastern mountain lions, btw:

2 Likes

I want to believe, but I know, based on other cryptozoological events, that the most likely explanation is that there are striped (domesticated) cats wandering around in Australia…

2 Likes

tasmanian tiger is kangaroo but fucked up and with cartoon zigzag teeth

3 Likes

Pics or it didn’t happen.

1 Like

… and having stealth capability. Thought to be extinct!

1 Like

Wait till he learns about interdimensional Bigfoot and its inability to be captured on film!

For me when I was a kid it was the studies of biological density, territory sizes, breeding populations, and needed food that finally got applied to bigfoot in the 90’s. You’d need millions of the fuckers for them to be as broadly distributed as they are. The core places they’re said to be don’t have enough food of the right type for a primate that size, and territories wouldn’t match for them not to cross over with humans constantly and in easy to locate fashion. For anything like a primate none of the math works.

There is one kind of animal where the math does. And its bears. Specifically the two species of bear found in North America. I ran into a detailed breakdown of the subject in one of my school library’s many bigfoot books. And it damn near broke my little heart.

Now I know that none of that matters. Squach can just phase through the dimensional veil and grab a taco in the Hallow Earth.

3 Likes

Certainly cougars continue to exist, we had one in our neighbourhood (West Coast BC) in the Spring, and many other years as well.

It is very possible that some western cougars are migrating east.

Rethink your assumptions a bit. The Northern regions of Ontario and Quebec (and Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and BC) are many many thousands of square kilometers of carefully explored, assessed, documented and mapped forests interspersed with clearcuts, logging roads and tree farms.

The entire north looks much like a patchwork quilt. This is a bit less true in NWT, but the provinces.have been well covered at this point.

That said, cougars are wily and tend to hide well. I worked a decade in the woods of Northern BC and Alberta and saw all kinds of wildlife, hundreds of bears, but have never seen a cougar.

3 Likes

Sorry, but there are about as many sightings of Tasmanian Tigers as there are of bigfoot in the States. It’s been going on for many decades.there is a slim chance that they exist. BTW the Thylocine was not restricted to Tasmania but was known on the mainland too. But if it is still around it’ll be in Tasmania. @Mangochin I just watched The Howling III. OMG what a dreadful movie.

2 Likes

Which is why you can believe that was the last theatrically released film of the Howling series!

1 Like

They turn up rather regularly.

My uncle tracked one across his wooded property, back in the 1970’s. (It turned out to be an escapee from a wildlife park in Pennsylvania, and was eventually recaptured somewhere in the Hudson Valley.)

So far they’ve all been male, which is kind of an obstacle to establishing a population.

My understanding is that mountain lionesses don’t wander nearly as far.

I also saw newspaper pics of an alleged cougar in Massachusetts a couple of years back. My immediate reaction on seeing the picture was, “dear lord, that’s the biggest bobcat I’ve ever seen!” Which is exactly what the creature turned out to be - a huge bobcat.

1 Like

Thanks for the giggle, @hecep!

1 Like

As you say, there are still lots of places to hide. We get wolves up there too, but I have never seen or heard them; they retreat to the deep bush during vacation season, but my cousins, who go up year round, hear them regularly.

1 Like

Dashcams are like $15, people. Get on it!

@prius04: you beat me to it, but srsly, they’re cheap.

2 Likes