Taste test: what is the best supermarket instant coffee?

I’m no coffee queen- but I know that when an emergency hits a few real comforts can make a big difference. So when the hurricane or whatever hits and I’m breaking into my emergency food that can be made on my little butane burner - a decent cuppa will make a huge difference.

And the good scotch.

1 Like

I’ve been drinking plain hot water for several years now. (I do have a cup of coffee in the morning, but for the rest of the day it’s plain hot water.)

A friend got me started drinking it when she came to my house to visit and asked for plain hot water. A friend of hers had gotten her started on it. I just stick a mug of water in the microwave and heat it up. In part I like it because in cold or cool weather it’s more comforting than drinking a glass of cold water, and in part I like it because I remembered that my grandmother used to drink plain hot water :slight_smile:

I keep a jar of instant coffee (tasters choice or sanka) to use as a ice cream topping.

Yeah - I eventually moved on to using a melitta one-cup, roasting my own beans in a repurposed air-popper and using a burr grinder. It felt so virtuous and “makery”. But I stand by my original statement.

1 Like

It’s not about virtuousness for me. I’m from the country that Melitta herself is from (and yeah Melitta Bentz was a real person). Every household there has a simple filter holder and making a “pour-over” isn’t a hipster thing. If anything it’s an old lady thing. Or what you do if you only want one cup and turning on the percolator isn’t worth it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.