Tasteless in-game joke, 8 years in prison

Has Texas never seen the internet before? 4chan? /b/? This is what gets a kid tossed in jail? Christ.

ā€œmaking a terrorist threatā€ Yes, apparently this is a jailable offense. http://definitions.uslegal.com/t/terroristic-threat/ helpfully provides an example of the Texas law, where youā€™re a terrorist is you make statements that ā€œplace any person in fear of imminent serious bodily injury.ā€ In other words, ā€œIā€™m going to kick your assā€ counts.

is this the only test to whether speech can be protected? just to play devilā€™s advocate, what about the common example of ā€œfireā€ in a crowded theatre?

iā€™ll bite. which part of you rejoices, and why?

Presumably you mean the example of shouting ā€œfireā€ in a crowded theatre when there is no fire. I think we should all be allowed to shout fire otherwise.

Iā€™m not entirely being pedantic for the sake of it. I mean to show that for every absolute case, there is always an exception.

If I heard someone shout ā€œfireā€ in a theatre, Iā€™d look about for a fire, not blindly panic. Wouldnā€™t you?

iā€™d like to think so. but we probably arenā€™t typical examples and that isnā€™t the point at all.
iā€™m saying there are examples of speech that are illegal that donā€™t immediately incite lawlessness, and arenā€™t covered by the Brandenburg Test (IANAL), no?

Recommend that you read the history of that expression.

ā€œspeech or actions made for the principal purpose of creating unnecessary panicā€

thanks for the background.
also includes some references to different precidents than just the Brandenburg Test.
i was originally replying to @bzishi who seemed to be implying only the Brandenburg Test can make this type of speech not protected by 1st.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.