Tasting the chocolate-chip cookie milk-cups

[Permalink]

Shellac? Eeeewwww! I don’t think I want to eat cookies, milk, and Thai insect secretions.

5 Likes

$3 each or 8 for $25?

Great multi purchase discount there…

6 Likes

Where I live we eat this stuff since last century.
On summer we chat under the sun for hours, then drink the milk inside the cone just because we don’t know where to throw it away. :frowning:

We call it icecream.

4 Likes

Many people may not be aware that the glaze that covers some of their favorite products – including vitamins, pharmaceuticals, candy and even some fruit – may actually be made from shellac; a resin from the secretions of the female lac insect.

When used in food and confections, shellac has the food additive number E904, and is described on food labels as ‘confectioner’s glaze’, ‘confectioner’s resin’, ‘resinous glaze’, ‘candy glaze’, ‘pure food glaze’ and ‘natural glaze’.

8 Likes

Ahh… The intolerable cruelty of the Lac Bug Syndicate. Help! Help! I’m being repressed! :smile:

3 Likes

This could never replace my milk and cookie dunking ritual.

Don’t mess with my rituals.

4 Likes

Fill-em with chocolate chip ice cream and you got a deal.

2 Likes

Weird that people freak out about eating bugs but pay big dollar for crab and lobster – basically the same thing.

8 Likes

Shellac? You mean bug squeezin’s? Let’s not and say we did.

Crab, lobster, crayfish, or fried grasshopper is fine with me. When I’m shown cookies and milk, though, I expect cookies and milk. Bug squeezin’s have no place there.

It’s the same as if I were offered a biscuit, only to find that it was actually a Jimmy Dean Maple & Bacon Flavored biscuitoid product. In a rational world, killing the SOB who perpetrated that wouldn’t even be a misdemeanor. Some things, you don’t mess with. :smile:

1 Like

Shellac! It’s a wood finish and a dessert topping!

13 Likes

I could be mistaken, but isn’t the whole point of dunking your chocolate chip cookie into milk for the cookie to absorb just the perfect amount of milk so it gets soft but not so soft that it falls off into the bottom of your milk glass?

cookies + milk = win

now this took the great idea and longtime favorite, but due to technical constraints required to make the cookie glass, the cookie could not absorb any of the milk and is coated inside, wrecking the very reason for the combination. Additionally in order to hold the glass shape you can’t have a cookie with either the ideal chewy or ideal cakey consistencies, you are limited to the hard cookie style period. Even in their own blog photos you can see that the cookie doesn’t cookie evenly and looks like an inferior cookie experience.

not to mention accidental breakage when biting into the glass, etc. this things is a timebomb timing wise for sog through even though it is coated.

as is all too often the case, just because an idea seems like a great one at first pass, doesn’t mean that it actually is a great idea. in this case the implementation is everything as is common with food products.

i dunno, those are my thoughts, of course i haven’t tried one, so maybe i’d change my mind once i’ve tried one…

3 Likes

There’s probably bug bits in the flour anyway.

1 Like

Er, yeah.

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/05/06/29/how_many_insect_parts_and_rodent_hairs_are_allowed_in_your_food.htm

I don’t like cookies and milk anyway. Ugh, soggy cookies. They should be crunchy. Never liked dunking biscuits in tea either.

Up next, who wouldn’t be repulsed by insect vomit sweetening coffee and such.

I was not aware shellac was insect bung.

edit:

Interesting: Is there a vegan alternative to shellac? Of course! Zein, a corn protein, is a competitive non-animal-based product. Pure zein is clear, odorless, tasteless, hard, water-insoluble, and edible. It is already used as a coating for candy, nuts, fruit, pills, and other encapsulated foods and drugs. In the United States, it may also be labeled as ‘confectioner’s glaze’. NOTE: As well as sometimes being made from shellac, confectioner’s glaze can also contain beeswax.

source: http://gentleworld.org/shellac-food-glaze/

1 Like

Nearly every comment is about the shellac, which as far as I can tell Cory made up. From the article’s comments: “It’s close to a standard glaze like from a doughnut with a little more real chocolate. It can therefore withstand the mild heat from a hot box (not an oven) much better than the 60-70% chocolate which is nearly half fat by weight. Glaze has almost no fat. It’s not waxy at all. When asked directly about coating, the person who accompanied me said she didn’t even notice the glaze and I agree with that assessment.”

Not a word about shellac anywhere on the page.

1 Like

The glaze on glazed donuts is primarily confectioners’ sugar, with no shellac added. Shellac is used for a hard, glossy, waxy coating, such as you might find on Skittles or Junior Mints. I’ve never heard of it being used on donuts (unless they have sprinkles on them), and I don’t see any evidence that it’s being used here. Not all (or even most) glazes are shellac.

Better watch out for cookies with M&Ms in them, then! :smiling_imp:

Hmmmmmmm… heat resistant glaze…