Tax-funded charter schools textbooks deny evolution, teach human-dinosaur cohabitation, endorse slavery and indigenous genocide

Indeed, Jesus spoke 17th Century English; that’s how it is recorded in the KJV.

I grew up being taught that the Bible was all literally true, that the world was created in 4004 BC, that Jonah was literally swallowed by a whale, and that Daniel actually survived being thrown into a fiery furnace. When I learned to approach the Bible as a story of the conflict between faith and unfaith and of the love of God for all His creation things finally began to make sense. The book of Jonah is a parable, and its point is that the heathen are more apt to repent of their sins than are “God’s Chosen People”.

3 Likes

Never happened, not even in Bibleland. In the Book of Daniel, but not Daniel personally.

I checked that because of an Analog serial.

5 Likes

Yes, but it’s one thing when you’re the parent etc… We all indoctrinate. Some of us try to indoctrinate the kiddos to think logically, take in all available info, and come to reasonable conclusions from them (but that’s still indoctrination of a sort).

When you pervert a publicly funded system to make all of us support your particular brand of craziness, no thanks.

4 Likes

It’s white tie and tails, unless you are the headwaiter.
Black tie with a (black) dinner jacket.
In any case, only after six p.m.

1 Like

Technically correct.

4 Likes

Yep.

7 Likes

that the Loch Ness monster is real;

I’m okay with this part. The rest of their crap is harmful, but belief in Nessie stimulates creativity and doesn’t really matter in the long run.

So in short, when we overthrow all the fundy schools and replace their textbooks, let’s not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

1 Like

And that’s why you want public schools to be as unbiased as possible to give children multiple viewpoints they can choose between. Not be locked into an upbringing where the parents totally control what they learn both at home and in school.

1 Like

I don’t think Nessie is a baby any more.

3 Likes

Of course She grew up and worked great miracles, but the story of the Baby Nessie is one that cannot be re-told enough.

8 Likes

Not far from where I lived, for a bit, in Kentucky, was the Creation Museum; the very first exhibit you see is this one:

And yes, the Creation Museum is taxpayer-funded.

6 Likes

Checked a few of those “Schools”

here’s the accreditation statement from one of those. Please note what it does and does NOT say.

We are accredited by the Florida Council of Private Schools and the National Association of Christian Education (NACE). Countryside is accountable to the membership of Countryside Baptist Church and must also meet certain standards as prescribed by Accelerated Christian Education International. We also meet or exceed the Florida Department of Education Standards.

and that, with no irony, the Learn More buttons there yield error messages.

5 Likes

So is the Smithsonian, where my parents bought me a stegosaurus model complete with a rock-wielding caveman.

Which is preposterous. Imagine trying to kill a stegosaurus with a rock!

6 Likes

giphy

3 Likes

A boulder with a gravity-assist might do it.

Or lure them to Head-Smashed-In Stegosaurus Jump.

3 Likes

Ahhh, still proof out there that Ringo Star was the best actor out of all of the Beatles. This was his finest movie.

4 Likes

With the exception of George’s appearance in Life of Brian. Genius acting!

7 Likes

Which fell under the heading of “I am fronting the money for this film, I better have a part in int”

8 Likes

Yes! I saw that documentary too and the guy in the expensive business suit was totally eaten by a T-Rex! Smart casual it is.

3 Likes

Y’know, more and more, I believe it.

3 Likes