Teacher charged with child abuse after "dragging" boy who sat for pledge

From a legal sense it depends on the state, I think. In Minnesota where I teach grabbing a kid and dragging them would be considered a fireable offense and probably result in assault charges unless they were in the middle of a fight or otherwise a danger to themselves or others. Even then, there are specific ways you are supposed to do it, and you should have been trained. Though, a school staff member grabbed my child by the shirt dragged them to a different room, and threw them into a chair and was not fired and they pressed assault charges against my kid, so, I think it largely depends on who the police like more. I think bodily autonomy is a crucial foundation of our civil behavior, even for kids. I think if you are grabbing and dragging children you should not be entrusted with their care.

2 Likes

What in her behavior constitutes basic civil behavior in your eyes?

3 Likes

Hopefully not in a romantic setting – I would imagine some kind of “Centaur play”… Uhh… Okay just forget I even said that.

When I was younger, I used to think that having all school children stand and pledge their allegiance to their national flag was fascism. And even minor signs of the world’s military hegemon moving in that direction are internationally newsworthy to some degree. Even if it’s still all about the clicks.

What people can get away with doing to kids, and how well-meaning mechanisms meant to protect children can fail, is always shocking. But the US is quite extreme in what parents are officially allowed to do to their kids, and that is even more shocking.

Dealing with it should not involve that cops. Your point of view has made society miserable.

While I understand your intended analogy:

8 Likes

I went to a French Lycee in New York in the 60s/70s. At our annual prize-giving ceremony, they played both anthems, US and French. There was one kid, against the Viet Nam war (we were all close to draft age) who didn’t stand for the US anthem. The president of the school got down off the stage and slapped the kid. It made the NY Times. There were no repercussions.

2 Likes

Can I like this twice?

2 Likes

Posted it over at the needs more likes thread!

1 Like

There’s a reason why Dolores Umbridge is considered by many as the scariest character of the series: she’s disturbingly credible.

5 Likes

Are you saying that the matter of her criminal behavior should have been dealt with by an angry mob, or that it shouldn’t have been dealt with at all? I honestly can’t tell.

You have within your power to act civilly in the face of incivility.

It wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of people have experienced an Umbridge (of any gender) at their school. They give the more numerous good teachers a bad name.

Mine was my head of year at secondary school, who didn’t believe I was depressed because he had seen me smile once.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.